Becoming a elite marathon runner

21 to 26 of 26 messages
24/02/2013 at 20:21

I've always wondered how late is too late to go from being fairly sedentary to an accomplished runner? When I say accomplished, I mean being be able to run sub 6min miles for a marathon. 'Picking the right parents' is so much more than the right genes, it is having support and pressure to get you into something early enough in your life course to be good at it. I didn't start racing until I was 23, I'm now 26. I wonder if that's too late...

24/02/2013 at 20:41

Marcus, probably nowhere near being too late if that's your aim and you work like an utter dog, and don't get injured. What's that, say sub 2hr 40?

Better to have shorter term aims though. Having one major aim must be a bit of a downer when you know you're miles off it.

seren nos    pirate
24/02/2013 at 20:48

There is a runner is south wales  who didn't start until he was 38 and he was a couple of stone overweight......

this year he has ran a 55:14 for a 10 miler and a 43:21 for a 8 miler already.........

he is turning 60 this month.......so to become good then you don't always have to start young

he has a 66:42 PB for a half marathon and a 2:23 for a full..........there are many non vets who would like to have those times

24/02/2013 at 20:49

Sound advice Stevie G. I take your point that setting manageable short-term goals is a better way to progress. Sub 6min miles equates to roughly a 2hr 36 marathon. I'm going for 2:45 in London but I just wonder if I hit that target, how many more peak years I have before it becomes so much harder (age-related) to knock chunks off of my times.   

24/02/2013 at 20:50

OK wow, thanks for that seren nos. That fills me with hope!

24/02/2013 at 20:53

Sub 2hr 45 is a pretty fast target in itself. Do you have other times in line with that on shorter stuff, or have you just had a big training block?

You're probably needing to be 1hr 15 for a half and have marathon experience to hit a 2:45 unless you move up seamlessly.

Always different though. I know a woman with a 1:17 half and 2:42 pb

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.