Beginner Running and Whey Protein

20 messages
30/05/2011 at 20:57

Hi

This is my first post so apologies if it is in the wrong area. I have been researching this topic myself throughout the forum, but was wondering if anyone could give me some more specific advice to my training.

I have been an on and off runner for some time however recently I have started to step it up; with the intial aim of weightloss. I was carrying a bit of excess fat and weighed 11 st 10 lbs. I have been running 3 days a week (most weeks) for the last 2 months now and steadily increasing my distance; im currently up to 10 miles. Over this time I have lost 1 stone which is great, I have seen my excess fat shrink considerably and am feeling great.

However I have noticed that I have became much weaker in the upper body of late, and so now wish to try and maintain my mass/become a bit more toned whilst keeping up the running; hoping to train for half marathon distance as a personal goal. I also want to burn a bit more fat without becoming too scrawny.

To do this I am going to introduce a couple or three days a week of weight training (not too heavy stuff), as I believe this will help burn fat and maintain or boost muscle mass. Iv decided to take some whey protein shakes alongside my training.

I bought Sci-Max 100% Whey protein shakes. It advises 2-3 servings per day (36g protein per serving I think) and before and after training. I am reluctant however to follow these guidelines as I dont wish to either become huge or to put on a lot of weight.

My feeling is that 2 servings a day on those days that I do weights (and running), and  possibly just a half serving after just running (moreso on the long distance days) should be more appropiate.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or any advice on how much protein I should take to help with my goals?

Apologies for the longish post, and thanks in advance for any replies!

Mark

30/05/2011 at 21:41

A lot will depend on your samatotype and whether you are a Mesomorph, Endomorph or Ectomorph. Protein shakes are designed to increase muscle mass and it is likely that you would notice significant results in a relatively quick period of time if weight training 3 days a week.

To an extent you may have to choose between the two, in that building upper body muscle will increase your weight potentially substantially (muscle weighs more than fat). If you are looking to maintain mass and become toned keep the reps high and the weight relatively low. It is also important to remember that muscles grow when you rest and you would not want to work one set of muscles too regularly (for example a bodybuilder may exercise the chest once a week by performing 3x10 reps of bench press at 90% of max, this would result in considerable muscle growth and weight gain).

If you are going to weight train three days a week one day should be for example, chest and biceps another back and triceps and another abdominals....have a look on the internet plenty of stuff on this.

Really this is all about your personal goals and balance, if your goal is to run the half as fast as possible then look at the conditioning of elite half marathon runners (5% body fat etc etc).

Personally i have always found hill work the best for improving time.

30/05/2011 at 22:01
Thanks for the reply, some good info there, much appreciated.

I think ultimately my overall goal is to lose fat, whilst becoming more toned and increasing general fitness.

My current strength or muscle mass is fairly low so I think any small gain in this area would be useful. Would i be right in saying that gain in core strength could aid my running?

Also one key question would be; is it beneficial to take the protein shake for recovery from long distance running?

Thanks again

Mark
30/05/2011 at 22:29

theres 20g of protein in a tin of baked beans!

There are much better protein supplements available than whey. You wont get huge eating protein, the workouts make you 'huge'

If you google CNP (supplement supplier) theres FAQ and a very good forum where an ex bodybuilder/company owner answers tonnes of questions. very honest answers rather than the rubbish you usually get

31/07/2012 at 13:36
Hi ya peeps, can I please pick your brains......?

I find myself in a very similar position to Mark, the originator of this thread. In that I'm running to get fit and I have a goal of finishing my first marathon in early October (the Clarendon marathon). I'm clocking up 3-4, 4 mile runs per week with a big run on the weekends - usually 7-10 miles. The running is going great and I'm really loving it! So much so that the wife thinks I'm obsessed!

I really don't have the time or the kit to do weight training - I'm trying to just build some core strength through press ups and sit ups etc. (not the best or most advanced or technical way of doing things in this modern era I know but hey there you have it).

I've no idea what the medical term is, but my body shape is skinny legs and arms and a bit (well maybe more than just a bit) of a middle aged spread around the middle!

I have the worlds worst eating habits in that I normally skip breakfast and lunch and then max out in the evening. I'm a vegetarian so lots of carbs and some soya type vegi substitutes.

However I'm now thinking of adding in a whey protein shake post run in the morning to help me get some kind of balance to my nutrition intake. My questions are
1, is it all worth the money?
2, will I end up putting on body mass that will slow me down and cut into the stamina required for the marathon?
3, and finally which one of the 100's of whey protein shakes on the market are designed for runners? What sould I be looking for on the side of the tub?

Any help would be appreciated!

Happy, healthy running to you all!

31/07/2012 at 13:42

1kg of fat weighs the same as 1kg of muscle...

02/08/2012 at 12:52
k g 10 wrote (see)

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey dude.

I do a lot of running, swimming and climbing.  I also include weights and power exercises in my weekly routine.  The only shake I use is http://www.gasparinutrition.com/products/myofusion-probiotic/ after my mate and PT/Gym instructor recommended it to me.  But I only take it straight after a weight or power session.  Iv never used it after a run.

When running and working out I put http://www.highfive.co.uk/zero_INT.php (quite a strong mix) in my bottle.

Im no sports scientist or nutrition expert but I hope that helpful in some way

Iain

02/08/2012 at 13:11

Cake

That's total rubbish i'm afraid - chocolate wins hands down

02/08/2012 at 13:21

Cake.

Oddly I was totally against supplements like that for a long time.  But Myofusion works for me as a post weight workout drink.  So I guess im drinking one cup of it once or twice a week.  Would I crumple and die without it?  No.  Thanks for the heads up on the science/diet side of it though.

I do recommend the Zero-Highs for hydration, for any sport.

When it comes to food for climbing and trekking, its Chilli Beef Jerky all the way.  Because dried animal corpse makes you a mountain conquering warrior!  Thats Science FACT!  Trust me, I have a beard.

03/08/2012 at 14:42

Even after long runs of 20 miles a milk shake and a tuna sandwich does it for me, another vote for strawbery here. All the protein you need and cheap at the price.

04/08/2012 at 07:33
Have you seen the price of tuna these days?

Have to agree that proper meals would be a better starting point.
09/08/2012 at 13:23
Hi peeps, thanks for all the info!
Tho I'm not sure I'm any the wiser!
I'm a vegetarian (so no tuna or dried animal corpses for me!) my only concern is, now that I'm running regularly, do I need to take on more protein to help build some muscle tone etc (don't want to end up looking as skinny as Mo Farah!
I've started taking a shake after each run (every other day or so) i'll keep it up until the box I've bought runs out and then decide if I need to continue.
But thanks again
Oh and chocolate wins every time!
26/08/2012 at 11:10
thanks cake!
happy running!
26/08/2012 at 12:13
Mark Truesdale wrote (see)

However I have noticed that I have became much weaker in the upper body of late, and so now wish to try and maintain my mass/become a bit more toned whilst keeping up the running;

Welcome to the classic situation all runners find...the fitter you are aerobically, the weaker in strength you become.

Nothing will strip your bulk more than high mileage running...just depends whether you want to be the best runner you can be, or a happy medium of strong, but not as good a runner.

26/08/2012 at 12:26

My first guess is that no fat bloater will run as fast as Mo, but then not many skinny people will either. BBC did a programme on this a few weeks ago and a jam sandwich before and a prepared meal of veg and fish got a champion cyclist fit. As a veggie you may just have to be a bit more searching with high protein veggie stuff, being a meat eater I am not clued up on that.

Whey powder always seems very expensive and too much like an overprocessed food for me. I like the look of eggs milk butter etc, just all in moderation.

27/08/2012 at 14:44

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Cardio

Chest and Tricepts

Off

Off

Cardio

Abs & Obliques:

Bicepts and Shoulders

10k Run

10k Run

neck and back

6 x 10 Peck Deck

5 pull ups

6 x 10 Assisted Dips

6 x 4 bicycle push ups

Reverse-grip bent-over

4 x 10 Press Ups

4 x 10 ab machine

dumbbell 4 x 10

6 x 10 Chest Press

6 x 10 weighted bends

Incline dumbbell curls

6 x 10 Cable Press

Few broom rotations

4 x 10

3 x 10 Normal dips

4 x 10 lat pulldowns

6 x 10 Shoulder Press

2 x 5 Tricep Push up

3 x10 situps

Superset

3 x 10 tricep Kickbacks

3 x 10 Barbell Deadlift

5 x 10 Straight Bicep

Curl and Tricep extens

20min Swim

5 x 10 curls twisted bar

Arnold Dumbbell Press

5 x 5

27/08/2012 at 14:48

Oh sorry tried cutting and pasting my work out plan. Didnt come out right. I have simular problem. I have been running lots and have started weight training because getting too skinny. Can I still do 2 x 10k runs a week with weight training 3 days (with whey protein) I dont really care about my times because never really that fast anyway like 50 mins 10k. I would like to get more ripped I wanted a critique on my training shedule from you guys that know more than me.

27/08/2012 at 14:51

More info I'm going for the brad pitt from fightclub look. I dont want to just run 1 10k a week though would like to keep it a 2. As love the buzz it gives me. Is that too much running.

27/08/2012 at 14:53

will the whey protein after runs stop (or help me from lossing the weight and muscle)

27/08/2012 at 15:05

Basically I do weights now (tricepts and chest) (back,lats abs) (bicepts and shoulders) 3 days as descibed. 2 days 10k run. Is this a good shedule to reach my goals? Will whey protein help me keep the weight on? I eat pretty well also a whole chicken a day.  Sorry this is a bit disjointed post.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
20 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.