beginners marathon training question

5 messages
24/12/2009 at 07:59

I'm thinking about doing a marathon next year, it will be my first, having started runing in the late summer i have gone from not being able to do 100meters to now being able to do 15-20miles a week fairly comfortably and losing 4stone along the way...

Looking at the beginners 16 wk http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-basic-marathon-schedules-get-you-round/108.html schedule it all seems very doable until at wk 12 it suddenly jumps to 18miles from a previous longest run on of 13miles only the week before with no recovery. This seems very tough to me, is it me being weak or does anyone else agree?

Also, am i mad thinking i can do a full marathon in 16weeks from my current base of fitness. I have a (second ever) 10k planned in early Feb and teh Bath half at the start of March and was pondering the Bury St Edmunds mara in May...

All opinions gratefully recieved!

Steve

24/12/2009 at 08:43

Hi

It does look like a big increase from a half marathon to a 16-18 mile run but it includes 5 minutes of walking every hour and is described as an endurance run so should be nice and slow.

I think you should have no problem getting round a marathon in May.  Keep increasing your running distance, particularly your long runs, until 16-18 weeks before the race then pick up a training schedule.  TBH this beginner's schedule will be a bit easy for you so find one that assumes a higher level of fitness and an ability to run further.

24/12/2009 at 09:04
I'm sure you could do it. Pop over to Shades Marathon Thread - she'll send her plans if you e-mail her. I used the 4 runs a week programme for my first marathon and did well off it. Long runs start at 10 miles and then you go up and down once you reach the mid-teens onwards.
24/12/2009 at 19:22

No I think you'll be fine.

Last year I booked to go to Florida and run the Disney marathon in April 08. THEN I started running. Followed Non Runners Book to the letter and marathon was done and dusted January 2009.

This year I'm doing the Goofy back at Disney World.  )

Good luck - you'll be fine.

26/12/2009 at 20:39
Go for it! Follow your 5 - 8 mile training runs during the week and build up your mileage on your long, weekend runs.

I did the Edinburgh Marathon after running for less than a year.

You can do it!

If you can run 18 miles, you can run 26.2!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.