Beginners training plan recommendation

6 messages
18/01/2010 at 14:21

As an effort to help my mum lose weight/get fit she's agreed to take place in the Edinburgh Marathon relay with me. She will be given one of the shortest legs so around 5 miles.

Could someone please recommend a beginner-friendly training plan that I can give to her, around 5 miles -10k. I'm regular runner but don't use training plans myself so don't really know a good one from a bad!

At the moment the only exercise she does is walking the dog & she is very nervous about doing the race so would need one to break her in slowly to build up her confidence.

Thanks!

18/01/2010 at 15:13

I know a lot of people don't rate it but personally I think the Running Made Easy book is good for absolute beginners... it's also got lots of motivating personal stories of people who have lost weight/got fit through running, which might inspire her, and as I said is very beginner-friendly, starting with 3 min walk/1 min run and building up gradually from there.

It won't take her up to 5 miles but might be good as a starting point.

18/01/2010 at 15:15
Oh, and forgot to say good luck to her, and well done on taking the first step.
18/01/2010 at 15:15
I'd suggest the BUPA beginners running plans.
18/01/2010 at 15:20
How about Hal Higdon's Novice 10k plan.  No fancy 'speedwork', just building up different length runs mixed up with some cross training.  It's an 8 week programme, so she'd have time to get used to the schedule and maybe build-up with some walk-run sessions she could do with the dog.  it may also be reassuring for her to see an official schedule which states that walking is good exercise and can be substituted for running if necessary.
19/01/2010 at 10:39

Thanks guys, really appreciate your suggestions. I'll work out with her which is the best for her.

Sheri, I've actually got that book myself. Bought it when I started out, and found it very good for beginners. A bit of light reading for her to get her into running I think!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.