Breaking 40min 10k

41 to 45 of 45 messages
05/02/2014 at 09:02
IronCat5 wrote (see)

FIRST works well, but does claim a lot of people on the way through injury. And you need to have a 'raced' 5km time to base things off; parkrun is a good opportunity.

Sounds like you're sorted either way.

Yeah - FIRST worked well for me last year, but any structured training program would have worked well for me because I'd never done any structured training (or really any training at all - just the odd run now and again).

But yeah - getting to Parkrun is a bit of an annoyance for me so I just ran 5km hard in 22 minutes towards the end of 2012 and based my training times on that.  I did sort of guess my 5km time this time around, which probably wasn't a good idea...!!

It was a good introduction to structured training for me because I couldn't see myself running more than 3 times a week a year ago but now I want to run more than 3 times per week, but the aggressive training paces in the FIRST plans don't really allow for that.  I tried one extra recovery run in the middle of my HM plan last year and got injured.  Luckily it was minor and cleared up within a week or so, but I think it demonstrates that although I felt like I was coping well with the paces etc. that I was right on the edge of pushing too hard / doing too much.

I'm going to move away from that from now on and go with something more "traditional".  Still got one eye on a sub 40 min 10k at the end of March, but if it doesn't happen I won't be devastated.

Edited: 05/02/2014 at 09:03
05/02/2014 at 09:41

That sounds a bit more sensible Calum. I still think its worth racing something to get a clear idea of LT pace etc.

Hopefully with slowing all your sessions down a bit you will realise how unneccessariliy hard you were training.

05/02/2014 at 09:50
IronCat5 wrote (see)

FIRST works well, but does claim a lot of people on the way through injury. And you need to have a 'raced' 5km time to base things off; parkrun is a good opportunity.

Sounds like you're sorted either way.

DT19 wrote (see)

That sounds a bit more sensible Calum. I still think its worth racing something to get a clear idea of LT pace etc.

Hopefully with slowing all your sessions down a bit you will realise how unneccessariliy hard you were training.

I think I already realise!  

Yeah - I would like to get a Parkrun in, but it's just tricky.  Nearest Parkrun is an hour away, so that means a good 3 hours out of a Saturday morning to "just run 5k" - difficult to justify when I could go out and run 5k and be back within about 40 minutes (including warm up).  Family time takes priority at the weekends!

05/02/2014 at 09:52

yeah i get your point. Train to the paces you have for now and use the next 10k as a marker to establish where you then are.

I used to do it myself. A 10 miler wouyld always be a flat out affair and i would be wiped out for rest of day. Now I have dropped a minute a mile off my pace for those things, once I ahve had a stretch and shower etc i can almost forget I have even run.

Edited: 05/02/2014 at 09:53
05/02/2014 at 10:04
DT19 wrote (see)

yeah i get your point. Train to the paces you have for now and use the next 10k as a marker to establish where you then are.

I used to do it myself. A 10 miler wouyld always be a flat out affair and i would be wiped out for rest of day. Now I have dropped a minute a mile off my pace for those things, once I ahve had a stretch and shower etc i can almost forget I have even run.

Yeah - on the Parkrun thing on a Saturday morning.  I would pretty much have to choose between getting on the long run or running the Parkrun (and the long run taking less time out of the day and causing less hassle).  With less than 7 weeks until the 10k, I'd rather get the long runs in and accept I may be slightly out with the training paces but I don't think they are wildly wrong now (they were all too quick until I reassessed yesterday).

Thanks again for the tips!

Edited: 05/02/2014 at 10:05

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 45 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.