Breathing Question

12 messages
08/07/2003 at 11:38
Whilst idling away a couple of hours at the airport on Friday I was reading an article in the current RW regarding breathing through your nose and how this is the recommended most effective way to breath whilst running, well I tried it on my runs over the weekend and could not get on with this, I am very comfortable breathing through my mouth however if I am wishing to improve should I change my technique ?.
08/07/2003 at 11:54
As a wise man once said "breathe through your ears if necessary" :)
08/07/2003 at 11:58
Tunney,

Not much use if I run with headphones.

But thanks.
08/07/2003 at 12:00
Seriously though, in through the nose out through the mouth is what I have always read and been told.
08/07/2003 at 12:04
I find that I can't get enough air in through my nose alone when I'm on anything but an easy run.
08/07/2003 at 12:05
Fat face, could blubber be obstructing your nose? :)

I find that if I have to switch to in-mouth, out-mouth I have much less chance of maintaining that pace.
08/07/2003 at 12:08
Tunney

I think I could maybe adjust to that technique but I just feel I can get a good lung full of air through my mouth, some may say its because I have a big mouth and there is an element of truth in that, but why would it make a diference ? air is air.
08/07/2003 at 12:11
Why would it make a difference? IMHO breathing in and out thru the same office increases the chances of hyper-ventilation at fast paces. In-mouth, out-nose is a bugger imho so I reckon that in-nose, out mouth has to be the best :)

Am I wrong?
08/07/2003 at 12:25
Mouth only for me - always get a streaming snotty nose when running.
08/07/2003 at 12:28
in nose, out mouth

also apparently (according to a biologist friend of mine, for what that's worth) if you are running through the bitter winter months breathing in through the nose pre-warms the air and helps prevent lung damage
08/07/2003 at 13:32
Nose tends to be clogged with winter snot or summer pollen and certainly in no state to breathe through at any pace other than (occasionally) complete rest.

Maybe that's why I have such a problem with swallowing flies on a run.

08/07/2003 at 21:46
I have no idea how anyone can enough air in through their nose while running!

Just read today that Lance Armstrong, while working hard on a climb, breathes in through his mouth AND nose! Try that!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.