Calf cramps

6 messages
25/02/2013 at 14:02

Hi

I am after some advice.. 

I have found that as I get to approx 18 miles I am staring to get cramp in the lower part of my calf.

I have read various information about low potassium or magnesium, or just not drinking enough..

I really need some practical advice from someone who has had the same sort of issue and overcome it.

Any advice will greatly apprecciated.

thanks

Dave

26/02/2013 at 12:27

it could be many things...

is your pace too fast, so 18m is your current limit at that pace? 

Or have you had a heavy training week and you are just too tired.

how are you fuelling yourself?  if you are out for a few hours are you suitably fuelled before going and taking on some drink/gels mid run?

WhizKid    pirate
26/02/2013 at 12:31
I get this too especially on long runs, its only my left calf really and its a bit random, ive been hitting longer runs at approx 6:50 pace down from 7:10-15 last year, i think its a combination of overuse/training and no fluid (i dont drink if the run is under 15 miles)...
26/02/2013 at 12:40

Thanks for your comments,

From looking around at all the other sites and resources.. i think this is an issue of potentail under fuelling before the run and not taking on enough fluid during the run.

I have a 20 miler this weekend and have decided to change my plan of action for the race.. a bit more carb loading and def taking on more fluid early in the run.

I hope this makes things a little better..

It's like anything,, you start searching for answers and you find all sorts. I now think  i may be low in potassium and magnesium....  

i will update the forum once i have completed the 20 miler.... finger crossed..

thanks

Dave

13/04/2013 at 11:47

just a quick thought, i used to suffer pretty bad with this but touch wood it hasnt been too bad just lately. would compression socks help?

13/05/2014 at 19:41

I get the same problem. very painful at first but then subsides to a slight limp for a day or two. I tried the experts and got some help with other related issues ( tight left ITB and tight right Achilles), but the pain came back in a different part of the calf. The last time I got angry with my stupid legs and went for a run with the pain. By the time i'd completed 10km the pain had completely gone.

So my advice is stretch the affected muscle with this; 

Most cases of leg cramps can be relieved by exercising the affected muscles. Exercising your legs during the day will often help reduce how often you get cramping episodes.

Stretches

To stretch your calf muscles, stand with the front half of your feet on a step, with your heels hanging off the edge. Slowly lower your heels so that they are below the level of the step. Hold for a few seconds before lifting your heels back up to the starting position. Repeat a number of times.

Then take the pain for an easy run.

Best of luck.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.