Calling half marathon types

21 to 29 of 29 messages
14/10/2002 at 16:00
Laura, you've run times that nobody can sniff at - and some of us only run so many miles on the roads because we don't have the joys of living where you live and it's a stark choice between the road or the treadmill - or travelling to a place where we can run off-road.
14/10/2002 at 16:05
Most of the advice you read is about 'time on feet' and I tend to subscribe to this i.e. if you half is 1:45 you should know what its like to be on you feet this length of time. I would necessarily worry about pace.
14/10/2002 at 16:17
I've read about time on your feet too, and was trying to do this prior to doing my first half marathon, so I didn't mind if I didn't cover huge distances. But like Laura I only ran 10 miles leading up to the half marathon and ran The Beast - an off road 13 mile event - a fortnight before the half. I did 1:46:16 in the half and felt fine. As I have to mix running with cycling I don't get many runs in a week. So I was just hoping that doing 10's would be OK.
15/10/2002 at 09:54
I think that the 10 mile mark has worked for you but may want to increase the distance a little more to improve times. I found that prior to my first half the longest I did was 12ish miles but instead of training on the roads all the time I also incorporated hilly cross country trails including a variety of terrain from canal trails to shin level muddy fields! If nothing else it certainly allowed me to know what it was like to continue running when your legs are burning with pain!! And I managed to achieve my first half in under 2 hours so it couldn't have been all bad!
15/10/2002 at 10:21
To answer WW , I don't know of anyone who covers up to 26 miles in training however,I'm a believer in the 'time on your feet' theory.
Therefore it may be worth going out for nearly 4 hours (at least 3h30-45) albeit at a slower pace about a month before the main race.

My last marathon I ran in 3.31 and did the 22 milers in around 3.15 which ceratinly helped.
15/10/2002 at 11:49
Can i upset the apple cart here, by saying that when i did my last marathon (3.33 hrs) i only trained up to 18 miles? I ran 18 miles, twice a week for the three weeeks prior to the two week taper.
Worked for me.
My 1/2M times are usually around 1.34 -1.35ish
15/10/2002 at 11:51
And for the 1/2M i usually train up to 17 miles long run. Next half this Saturday (20th) and only trained up to 14 due to various other committments messin gup my training.
15/10/2002 at 19:26
I think it very much depends on what each individual can manage and what they want out of the race.

To achieve your best (PB) I believe for the 1/2m you need to go over the distance at least to 15miles. However, a 1/2m can easily be completed with running lesser mileage, you just won't reach your maximum potential.
Personally you're only going to get out of a race what you put in during your training unless you are exceptionally naturally talented!
15/10/2002 at 19:51
I have now run 5 half marathons and can honestly say I have never run further than 13.1 miles in my life..unless christmas shoping after the GNR counts.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.