Can I ever reach the top?

21 to 32 of 32 messages
04/09/2012 at 21:09

I'm sure the OP has found this thread really useful...

AS: you haven't been training for that long so don't despair (and don't stress comparing yourself to people who have been training for longer than you).  It's also important that you find the mileage and intensity that you can cope with.  If you find you get injured at 45mpw (I'm picking arbitrary numbers here), then stick at 40mpw for a bit (3-6 months?) before trying to increase your mileage.  It's much better to run slightly lower mileage or manage 2 quality sessions a week regularly than manage higher mileage/3 quality sessions pw for a few weeks/months then get injured and lose valuable fitness.

04/09/2012 at 21:10

Joolska! Are you suggesting we've hijacked this totally?

And are you doing Cabbage Patch 10miler out of chance?

If you are I might actually say hello, as long as you aren't looking stressed trying to get your number on 1min from the start like at Dorney last year

04/09/2012 at 21:38

Sorry, did go off track slightly there.  SG - I wish I could run a 31:30.  Whatever the %'s involved, I'm sure you'd be worth more in prize money than  you'd pay out for entry fees.  Not quite enough to make a living though, eh. 

AS - Just to back up what Jools says, it could be a little risky feeling that you have to ''catch up'' with your rivals who got into running at a younger age.  You can bet they're training as much as injury/recovery will allow, and probably even be reined in by their coaches to make sure they're not overdoing things. Even if you do have the natural talent to get anywhere near the ''top'' it will take a while to get there, especially for the longer distances because endurance fitness is something that comes along cumulatively over months and years.  Whatever level you reach, staying injury free and seeing steady improvements in your form is a hugely satisfying journey.

Edited: 04/09/2012 at 21:38
04/09/2012 at 21:41

PP, certainly would be a poor return for what would take a collosal amount of effort and ability.

Imagine if you were in the top 150 footballers in the country as way of a comparison.

05/09/2012 at 15:29

In fact, I think you've killed the thread!  No CP for me, SG.  Brizzle Half and Great South are the autumnal A races.

05/09/2012 at 15:38

Ah, Brizzle Half, site of my best ever gurn (and I've had a few).  Not sure I want to revisit that experience.  Thirteen bloody seconds!

Good luck Jools! 

05/09/2012 at 16:21
Tell me more. What is a gurn and what happened happened at said gurn?
05/09/2012 at 16:31
05/09/2012 at 16:31

A gurn is a facial expression, typically pretty darn ugly.  The World Gurning Championships (of course they exist - there are world championships for almost everything!) are not a pretty sight!  IIRC Phil missed a champs qualifier by 13 seconds...

05/09/2012 at 16:32

X-post.  As I said, typically pretty darn ugly (that's the facial expression, not you, Phil, before you get offended

05/09/2012 at 16:35

hahahahaha great photo Phil...I've had that feeling before on runs, but it's normally met with sweet relief in some unsuspecting bush!

05/09/2012 at 18:10
Looks like phil is doing the "chinaman" during his run

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.