cant seem to get past the 5 mile mark

5 messages
11/03/2012 at 17:34
ive got back into fitness and now running after long time took up cycling last year but now trying to get my running flowing. up to 3 miles have been good but now trying to push on with longer distance i have been getting very tight shins and calves which is stopping me get to where i was hoping. any help gratefully recieved
11/03/2012 at 17:59
Hi

I started running fairly recently and had similar things when I started - the two bits of advice I got were that it could be due to running too far too soon or the type of shoes you are wearing. Have you had a gait analysis to ensure your footwear is right for you?
11/03/2012 at 18:06
mmmh i know that can be an issue and i am a bigish chap 6'5 and 17:7st but fit not fat so i wasnt exspecting it to be easy use to be a sprinter in my youth and done a lot of running in my twenties for forces training but i have 21 days now to do 13.5 ready for reading half so i do have to up it but i have been run jog walking to get use to the distance!
11/03/2012 at 18:11
It might be worth you going for a sports massage to ease off your calves and check your shins to rule out any shin splinty problems which would put you back - good luck and make sure you have easy days too!
11/03/2012 at 18:23
its maddening because i dont suffer after wards and it does loosen up at the end generally but ive never had this problem before and my mind set is good ive come a long way in a year but this just at around 2.5/3miles just stops me and i have to walk and stretch!!! also i find it hard to jog/slow run i just want to run stretch it out like i used to so its hard to have easy runs apart from reducing the distance to which i dont want to do because im running out of time to reach half marathon any ideas!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.