Capitalising on a marathon and a half

2 messages
30/04/2013 at 11:29

Okay, confession time.  I've probably done a total of about 10 training runs this year, most of them short, none more than about 9 miles.  

I had a VLM place deferred from 2012 which I wasn't going to do because I knew my training was totally inadequate.  Then the Boston marathon bombings happened and i was damned if I was going to waste my place, so I ran/walked it in 6:14. I'd also booked my local half marathon, a week after London (bear in mind I didn't think I was going to do London at the time).  That was on Sunday.  I didn't know how my body was going to react — I was half expecting it to go "Seriously? Are you ****ing kidding me?  No way love, you're on your own on this one!" — but it felt pretty good and I finished with a PB of 2:19:07

Obviously I know it's completely stupid to do these kinds of things without enough training and I promise never to do it again but now that I have and I'm in a situation where I'm able to run more frequently I want to capitalise my current form.  

Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of training I should put in from this point on?  The only other race I currently have booked in is a 10k in July.  

30/04/2013 at 23:13

It doesn't really mater what you do, just get out on your feet regularly! I'd just keep it easy and concentrate on consistency. 2 to 3 times a week doing just 30 minutes or so will see huge benefits.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.