Carbo Loading Snacks and Drinks...

13 messages
09/06/2003 at 17:08
Hi,

I'm running the Stockholm Marathon on Saturday, and wondered if anyone could recommend some good carbo-loading snacks to eat whilst I'm travelling / away from home?

Dried fruit such as peaches, prunes, raisons, etc seem to have a very low glycemic index and therefore seem like they might possibly be a good choice. Also I was thinking of cooking up some tomatoey wholemeal pasta to take with me.

What do you reckon? Any advice would be most welcome...

Also, are there carbo-loading drinks available? Are these worth trying? I have SIS Go, but as this is an isotonic sports drink I imagine it would provide me with too much sodium and other minerals, vitamins, etc if I use it whilst not excercising. Any thoughts?
09/06/2003 at 17:56
Lawrie
its a bit late to experiment now

Stick with waht you are used to
09/06/2003 at 18:10
HoN,

Thanks for the advice - To be honest, I wasn't looking to experimanet with anything too strange this close to the race. I eat loads of fruit, dried fruit and pasta, and I drink loads of fruit juice and sports drinks (when running) as part of my normal diet so I don't forsee any problems with these.

However, I think just munching dried fruit and pasta all day might not bode well for a settled stomach so I am really looking for some other good alternatives to compliment them... I've always found moderation to be a good thing.

Would eating high-fibre foods a day or two before the race be a bad idea? Or do I just want to avoid them on the big day?
09/06/2003 at 18:13
I wouldnt eat them at all

i just wouldnt change your diet, marathons are funny things
is it your first?
09/06/2003 at 18:21
Yup, first marathon... Which perhaps explains my neurotic questions!

However, I have run three half marathons before and I have always flagged in the last mile or two. I didn't bother to carbo-load or drink sports drinks while running these events though.
09/06/2003 at 18:23
I think sports drinks are a good idea, as long as youve practised with them on long runs, cos they can cause stomach cramps

Good luck

I shall be strugling round a marathon myself on sunday
09/06/2003 at 18:30
And good luck to you!

Which marathon are you running?
09/06/2003 at 18:32
The potteries, in stoke

I havent trained properly since FLM
09/06/2003 at 18:48
Sounds like you are in the same boat as me...

I trained really hard for the FLM but got injured just before and had to withdraw. I haven't really got back into training properly since but, having already paid for the flights and marathon entry, I thought I may as well go for it!

09/06/2003 at 18:50
youll be fine
Sorry to hear about FLM, i assume youre now in for 2004
09/06/2003 at 18:53
Yes, in fact you've just reminded me that I need to get my FLM "Ill or Injured entry form" in the post - almost forgot!
09/06/2003 at 19:01
i hope to get in through the ballot
if not, ill come and support

Plenty of other marathons to do
09/06/2003 at 20:27
Hi Lawrie - Like Hippo says, best not to experiment this late, but if you like them some good high carb snacks are Jaffa cakes, muller rice and snack a jacks (rice cakes in lots of flavours, and little baby ones in crisp-like packets). All easy to travel with.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.