Cardiac Drift

21 to 29 of 29 messages
02/08/2011 at 13:24

... and I'm very envious of your 10K time!  My PB is 40:10.

Perhaps I just need to drink more?

02/08/2011 at 15:38
PS Duckinator. Just quickly checked out that link you put up. This could be the info that makes it all understandable. Thanks.
02/08/2011 at 16:12
Cop-out, are those shade temps you are quoting? I would never try a long run even with a shade temp that high although I probably got away with it when I was younger. If it's out in the sun it'll be way hotter of course. Another small point but personally I would chuck out the data for the first mile as the av HR is reduced a bit by the startup part of the HR curve. That makes your initial data look less dramatic.
02/08/2011 at 18:53

Yes Joe that was shade temp. I'll give you that 1st mile point but it still pretty disturbing data, even with the temp factor. Today was slightly less awful and over a hilly route....

1 - 7:45 HR 131

2 - 8:09 HR 136

3 - 8:05 HR 137

4 - 8:28 HR 136

5 - 8:33 HR 136

6 - 8:45 HR 137

02/08/2011 at 23:50
Stick at it Cop-out.  The cardiac drift will slowly reduce but it take 3 weeks to see any improvement and 6 weeks for something really noticeable.  Worth noting that in my experience running in the heat does increase cardiac drift however when it cools down you'll see a dramatic difference.  Hadd training is good advice.
03/08/2011 at 08:13
Cheers Clearly but I've been doing this for a year now. Halfway through Hadd this morning and its making a lot more sense. In essence my aerobic capacity is poor. I also belive genetically I'm stuffed due to losing so much in sweat during even moderate exercise. In the above run I weighed myself before and after and lost 1lb 4oz in weight over the 50odd minutes easy run.
03/08/2011 at 08:23

Cop-out
You did get me thinking about this, and for the first time ever I've been weighing myself pre & post run.  I'm losing 1-2lb over 5-6 miles in this heat.  It doesn't concern me, so I wouldn't worry about it either.
The important thing is to start hydrated, and drink consistently afterwards to ensure good recovery for next time (and life in general!)
Hadd (ie good base training) is excellent stuff, as Clearly says.  Anyone who hasn't done it would benefit from a good cycle of it.  I'm not following it at present as my training is currently at the other end of the spectrum, but I shall return to it after my Autumn half marathon before I hit my marathon training programme.

03/08/2011 at 09:30

CO, aerobic base training requires  the patience of a saint and you'll often feel like you're going backwards for periods of time. It's important to look at the big picture and guage progress over 6 months rather than a month or so.

I'm sure Dan will be happy to give you his progression over the last few months nad from when he started as he's been a perfect example of just how good a runner it can make you. 

04/08/2011 at 08:29

Ok. Final post before I let this thread die.

Posted because I think it shows some normality in race conditions.

Last night I did the Pewsey midweek 5 miler. Its a road race and hilly/undulating.

1 - 6:02 HR 161

2 - 6:09 HR 170

3 - 6:21 HR 171

4 - 6:17 HR 171

5 - 6:21 HR 174

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.