CBA

3 messages
WeV
16/07/2009 at 19:52
I'm going through a bad patch and need some words of wisdom etc..

I am recovering from Achilles tendonitis and it has been going pretty well, but work is getting really stressful and I keep skipping training sessions (i'm training for a half marathon on Sept 6th). When I get home from work I just slump on the sofa, try to ignore the screaming children and stay there all night feeling sorry for myself, trying to talk myself into going for a run.

The weather isn't helping but I could easily get on the treadmill if I could be bothered.

I'm a teacher so break up for the hols next week and intend doing lots of cross-training to try and build up my fitness base without putting extra pressure on my poor achilles. But I will probably do sod all.

When will I snap out of this? What should I do?

I'm only up to 8 miles on my long run and I'm worried I wont be up to the distance by September 6th and will get myself injured again.
GTC
16/07/2009 at 23:38

Literally the hrdest part for you will be getting out that door.

Wait till the school breaks up, then do a sixty minute session of either gym/cross training or a run, low speed, flat and off road (nice safe trail to minimise potential injury) and try and remember why you run - because it is enjoyable.

The feeling of relief and smugness you will feel after breaking your spell of apathy will taste a lot better than the guilt.

Its your brain that is sabotaging you and not your injury - so don;t let it win.

Good luck and we have al been there so you are not on your own.

GTC
18/07/2009 at 15:21

Have you consisdered joining a club?

I was a teacher until recently and sometimes had difficulty motivating myself after a rough day at the chalkface. However if I could get myself down to the club I always got dragged around by someone, especially during the long dark nights or long sunday runs ( as well as a medicinal pint or two afterwards)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.