Chicken Pox

17 messages
30/10/2002 at 23:19
Hi,
I had chicken pox at the end of March this year (for the second time !)and was in the build up to Ironman France.(in June)
I had it quite bad - the Missus counted over 200 spots on my back / chest !
My GP was adamant that I shoud do no physical exercise for a month - I compromised and took 12 days off ! (not the brightest thing to do).
My first run was for 30 mins at an average HR of 160 and approx 8 minutes/mile - not good considering this level of exertion would normally be at an HR of 120 ish.
Felt bad for about a month - no energy, so devised a sh*t or bust training schedule to get fit for a full Ironman in 8 weeks.
It was hard going, but I got there.
I can safely say that post chicken pox, has to be the worst that I have felt in many years.
If you get it, take a rest and get back into your running gently. - hopefully you won't get it.
31/10/2002 at 07:09
PB - if you get it there is no way you will be able to run. I would best describe as feeling like the worst bout of flu (without the cough and sneezes) you could imagine.
31/10/2002 at 09:03
PB - you may be lucky and get CP like my husband did - he felt fine and just got a couple of weeks off work! Me? I have never been more ill in my life. My energy levels were so low that, when I got out of bed to go for a pee, I had to lie down on the bathroom floor before I'd got enough energy to get back to the bedroom! It took me about three weeks of total rest before I could get back to any sort of exercise.
31/10/2002 at 12:50
PB - by the way it has about a two week incubation period so just when your kids are getting over it and your think you've missed it......KABOOM!
31/10/2002 at 15:03
Have you got any craters on you face or body. If you had it as a child odds are that you picked a couple of spots and they leave a lovely scar. Sorry if indelicate but might help.
31/10/2002 at 15:07
P.S.
Might be lucky with 18 month daughter if your wife has had it. I think her immunity hangs around for a while. I think it is quite rare for under 2's to get it. My son 22 month has been in contact on numerous occasions and still hasn't had it.
31/10/2002 at 15:14
If you are really really lucky and have had chicken pox as a kid - you could have shingles this time round. Now that is painful!!
31/10/2002 at 15:42
Sorry forgot to mention that two years after getting Chicken Pox I got shingles and yes it does hurt.

PS. Not to worry you PB but isn't chicken pox the disease that can make certain extremities swell if you get the disease later in life?

Need a wheelbarrow?
31/10/2002 at 15:51
no that's mumps - which I haven't had
01/11/2002 at 15:03
I'm holding the calamine lotion ready for you PB!!
09/11/2002 at 12:57
Hi there,
In general, recovery from a viral infection, be it flu or adult-acquired chicken pox should be a balance between initial rest and graduated activity leading to eventual return to full exercise levels. The trick is to slowly build up from very gentle activity after the initial "active" phase of the illness has subsided. This might typically start by simply walking, without any pushing up of heart rate - indeed if HR starts to go higher than expected with gentle effort than this is your body saying to "pack it in".
It goes without saying that efforts to maintain hydration and attention to diet and carbohydrate intake go hand-in-hand with graduated activity increase. Vitamin supplements may help in this period, although the evidence-base is thin.
Modest early activity is thought better than complete inactivity during that "washed-out" phase after initial infection settles.
Good luck
09/11/2002 at 13:46
Message to anyone who has chicken pox now or in the future. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM PREGNANT WOMEN!!, it isn't very well documented but the consequenses for the unborn child can possibly be very severe. I speak from personal experience.
09/11/2002 at 20:33
mr silly I had chicken pox in the first few months of my pregnancy with my first child. Out of genuine interest what sort of severe consequences to you speak of?
09/11/2002 at 20:45
I notice that it's a while since Pernickity Butt has posted here, and I hope he's not succumbed to the pox... If he has, I hope he feels much better soon.
10/11/2002 at 14:05
Hilly,
I know i will probably be accused of scaremongering because of my post but i think you will understand why when i say my son has some quite severe disabilities.
Mrs Silly caught chicken pox in the tenth week of pregnancy. She was quite ill. Due to this my son has brain stem damage,so tiny it doesn't show up on a scan but enough to effect his swallowing and slight Hornes syndrome on the left side of his body.We spent the first year of his life in
hospital, life and death more times than i can remember.
He is ten now and doing well although he will always have his problem.
All this because Mrs silly spoke to a neighbour in the street who's sons had chicken pox.
Of course his case is very rare but not as rare as you might think.
Regards
10/11/2002 at 20:44
Thanks mr silly for sharing that with us. I'm glad your son is now doing well and I wish you all the best for the future.

I too have a disabled daughter so I feel for the pain you must have gone through. She has many ups and downs with her health, but is doing ok generally.
11/11/2002 at 12:45
Pb it is unlikely that you will succumb this time as you have had recent exposure I have four children all had chicken pox at different times and I have never had chicken pox and did not catch it then, might yet but thats life.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.