Cold Baths, a la Paula R.

21 to 33 of 33 messages
01/05/2003 at 09:45
As a coastal dweller, can I recommend you use biodegradable Radox. As long as you pick a small bay with limited tidal movement, you shouldn't need more than half a ton of it ;-)
01/05/2003 at 13:05
Find a rock pool.
01/05/2003 at 20:16
1/2 ton, no prob!
cougie    pirate
01/05/2003 at 21:02
Let us know when you've got your bay - we can all have a nice dip.
02/05/2003 at 09:20
...and if there's a nice force 5 blowing...
02/05/2003 at 11:01
Hmmm. Never thought of the sea as a cold bath--doesn't sound so bad really. Except that the slope of our local beach is so gradual that you'd have to run 3/4 mile to the water, and then the same again to find anything over ankle deep (at least till you hit the channel--but that might be a bit extreme)!

05/05/2003 at 19:10
Well I tried standing in the sea after my race, for 15 min today. I'm sure it worked as my legs feel good afterwards. I went out for a pm run and it felt as if I hadn't raced!
I would'nt call it proof just yet but will definetly be doing it more often.
05/05/2003 at 20:05
I've followed some advice I got from these forums a while ago (forget who).

Basically you run about half an inch of luke warm water, get it the bath with a mug of tea, something to eat and a book, wrap a towel round your shoulders and turn any bathroom heaters you have on. Then just run the cold tap. OK so it isn't ice water but done like that you could stay in all day - and much easier than a cold shower. Might be different in Winter as the cold water is a lot colder then.
05/05/2003 at 20:18
I get in an empty bath and turn the cold water onuntil it fills up enough to cover the legs.
The shock isn't quite so bad.
The results too are inconclusive.
05/05/2003 at 21:19
Hi All

Second 25 minute soak in cold bath today after 10K race earlier.

Again once feeling came back into legs I felt like I hadn't raced at all. Went out for short 4 mile cycle in the pm and legs still feeling really good.

Should be well able to go out tomorrow for 5 mile recovery run.

For me the results are very conclusive, cold baths rock. Thanks Paula R. for the tip.

By the way Paula R. looked great on test the nation last night, is there nothing she is not good at.

MK
06/05/2003 at 14:00
I'm an overweight, bit of a slow plodder and twice now I have tried the cold bath, once after an 8 miler and this weekend after a 10 miler. Both times my legs have felt so so much better than the times when I have a warm shower that I'm convinced. ....did cheat slightly this weekend, got into the cold bath but let a lukewarm shower run over me till my legs had gone numb...wasn't such a shock to the system that way....
06/05/2003 at 14:05
I have progressed now to putting some of those frozen plastic elements from the freezer into the water. Now that it is warmer outside the water from the tap isn't that cold anymore.
Roz
06/05/2003 at 15:17
When I was getting over my achilles injuries, I used to put my feet in a bucket of cold water after my run and add ice cubes to cool it further. My tendons got better and weren't as stiff the next day.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.