Cross Country skiing

21 to 32 of 32 messages
06/11/2002 at 09:19
Tep - What are X-country skiing events like? Are they like running races where you'll have people who are brilliant, and people who can hardly manage the distance, all running together? Or are they full of frighteningly fit lycra clad skiiers, all competing for the top place? Just curious, mind.
06/11/2002 at 13:50
Err... I don't know, that's why I want to do one! I would imagine that in general they're very much like running events - except you ski. The one I'm planning to do seems to have two categories: "competitive" (70K for men and 40K for women) and "leisure" (20K, 40K and 70K). And yes, I would imagine tastefully tailored lycra should feature heavily... Maybe I could wear my cycling gear?
06/11/2002 at 14:57
Lizzy/Tep

I've done the Engadin Ski Marathon in Switzerland twice. Both times it was great fun as we weren't "competing". Take a back pack with some refreshments, slap on the shades and sunblock and off you go!

The event is a 42km race, and the lycra clad winners usually finish in just under 1.5 hours (!) and the plodders like me do it in about 4-6 hours (more like 6 for me...). But the locals are great supporters, with lots of "Hup! Hup! Hup!" and small children handing out sweets to keep you going.

Try this site for member races of the World Loppet. There are sometimes shorter races attached to the marathon distance ones.

http://www.worldloppet.com/

Minnie

06/11/2002 at 15:16
thanks Minnie - just found a X-country skiing race in Iceland in May - plenty of time to practice! I'm getting excited already!
06/11/2002 at 15:30
That's great! Keep us updated on your progress.

Plenty of time to make sure you get the right clothes as well...!
06/11/2002 at 15:33
Mmm, quite fancy an orange all in one lycra bodysuit with yellow detail. Or perhaps I should dig out my 80s aerobics gear and go for a pink and blue ensemble?
06/11/2002 at 21:32
Definitely, and don't forget those leg warmers.

Fame! I'm gonna live forever! etc etc...

06/11/2002 at 21:42
Leg warmers... Oh no, it's all coming back to me now!
06/11/2002 at 23:43
Tep, you didn't have leg warmers, did you?!
07/11/2002 at 09:51
No, but I did - grey and yellow. And a grey rah rah skirt.

Leg warmers - a fashion saviour for girls with thick ankles. Bring them back!
07/11/2002 at 10:10
I didn't, but from what Lizzy's saying, I knew a lot of girls who must've had thick ankles...
07/11/2002 at 13:35
Heh heh! I drew the line at the ra-ra skirt (now there was a fashion mistake...), but I had some nice purple leg warmers, which I was allowed to wear at school as purple was our school colour. Fashion mistake number 2 (of many, I can imagine...!).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.