cycling (indoors!)

7 messages
Jax
06/09/2002 at 20:03
I decided to do some cross training seeing as everyone else is at it. Cycling was the best option but now it's dark by the time I get in from work my husband has produced a Tacx excel tubo trainer. Has anyone any useful tips or good sessions to help me.
07/09/2002 at 13:42
I used to be a racing cyclist and using the Turbo was a necessary evil when the weather prevented training out on the roads.

A turbo isn't really any good for simply spinning (an easy hour on a turbo is probably equivalent to spending an hour in a sauna with a train spotter - boring and extremelly sweaty) but is a great aid for anyone looking to do some good quality interval training.

Pick intervals lengths that suit you but as a beginner try to start off relatively easily and build up i.e 20 secs hard in the saddle followed by 40secs - 1min easy. 3 sets of 5 with 5-8 mins between each set should do the job. Also remember to spend 15 mins warming up and 5 mins warming down in order that you don't fall over once you get off.

Also remember to have lots of liquid available during and after the session.

Good luck!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/09/2002 at 16:11
My exercise bike - of unknown make - is currently in the garage as I felt it wsasn't worth wasting space on it.(although the handle bars were good for drying clothes on!) Now I have started running and cross training with a bike, I was wondering if it is worth getting it out again? Is the boredom really beneficial? Especially as I am a novice of 7 wks running
08/09/2002 at 15:04
I'm a triathlete and use a regular turbo session in my training. Try www.220.co.uk which is a magazine for triathletes or try this one.....put on some music and pedal to the different tempos for 30 mins...alternatively try watching something you've recorded on your VCR or a running video, anything to pass the time.
Make sure you have plenty of water as you will get hot and a fan is a great cooler...also a towel to stop the sweat from dripping into your headset/brakes etc and causing corosion. Happy Turbo-ing!!
Jax
09/09/2002 at 14:58
Thanks for all the advice. A fan and some good music is a must.
I'm sure it's going to help my running by giving me better leg strength (cross country season starts soon).
Little Fill- I haven't had any success with the website address is it correct?
WildWill    pirate
09/09/2002 at 15:11
The site is www.220magazine.com
Will HeWon't He?    pirate
09/09/2002 at 15:38
The turbo is your best friend! I am a triathlete and I love mine. Just spinning can do you plenty of good for recovery. I find it works well post racing, or as a warm up for a good stretch. If you want serious turbo workouts go to www.triathletes-uk.org and go to the training section, which has a great excel spreadsheet with lots of workouts on it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.