Cycling instead of running

5 messages
01/04/2013 at 13:36
Hi, I am running the London Marathon for the first time in 3 weeks (eek) and have picked up what seems to be an IT Band injury. Did my final long run on Sunday and my knee is pretty sore. Although I am now tapering I still have to train almost every day so is it ok to replace running with cycling to maintain fitness? Cycling doesn't seem to aggravate my knee and I don't really want to rest completely and undo all of the good irk over the past 18 weeks. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
01/04/2013 at 15:35

Works well enough. I ran a sub 3 at London off mainly cycling endurance. The longest runs in the 6 months leading up the race were 19, 16, 16 & 13 miles.

Only thing cycling doesn't do is stimulate your feet and ankles.

01/04/2013 at 15:45

What about swimming? Water seems fairly low impact to me!

01/04/2013 at 17:21
Ric - Ok thanks that's good to know.

David - I am not a fan of swimming so would much prefer cycling if it doesn't aggravate my knee.

I am going to cycle tomorrow and see how it is, my knee is certainly better but still sore. Very annoying time to pick up an IT Band injury! I have just ordered a foam roller and some K tape, so hopefully this all combined gets me to the start line fit.
cougie    pirate
01/04/2013 at 18:51
Blimey I'm not doing enough cycling - even Chris Boardman didn't go sub 3.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.