Distance

1 to 20 of 39 messages
19/08/2002 at 14:58
Hi All,
I need help! I'm starting training for FLM 2003 and I need to know whow far I'm running! Surely there must be a website out there where I can find out the circumference of Blackheath, or the distance from Lewisham to Dulwich Park...

I try estimating my pace, but how do I know how fast I'm running when I can't tell how far I've ran!!

Life was so much easier in Glasgow where I knew most of the distances!

Cheers
Kim
Mij
19/08/2002 at 15:06
I use an OS map and an old envelope. Mark the distance from bend to bend on the envelope edge until you have your whole run covered. Them measure it against the scale on the bottom
19/08/2002 at 17:20
There are a couple of ways - websites like www.multimap.com, www.streetmap.co.uk or even the www.theAA.com website all have route maps for drivers. They allow you to calculate routes with Via's so you can slowly build up a route distance - helps if you've got postcodes and some sites are better than others, but that's how I do it. It's not rocket science but i've found it pretty accurate. - not so good in parks i suspect.
19/08/2002 at 20:32
Hi Kim,

I do rather the same as Mij, except with a great big London A to Z, straight pins and a piece of thread. Maybe not perfectly accurate, but a pretty fair 'ballpark' figure.

Blackheath has at least one mighty decent running club (Harriers?), which might also have distance info on local runs. They might even talk you into joining.

Good luck,

DC
20/08/2002 at 10:21
My fiance uses an OS Map and a piece of dental floss to trace the route, says it's fairly accurate.
20/08/2002 at 11:33
I have got some software called Accuroute (www.accuroute.co.uk) which allows you to save maps off the internet and then (after really quick and easy calibration) trace around the route with your mouse pointer to get an accurate distance. Really easy to use.

There is another one called www.trailgauge.com which is the same sort of thing, but accounts for hills as well.
20/08/2002 at 11:38
Your other option is to use a mile calculating device, which operates like a pen with a roller, available from outdoor pusuits stores - pretty accurate but you will need print outs of the maps....
20/08/2002 at 16:50
I use a mountain bike with a mileometer on it and write down marker points (trees/sign posts etc.)so I know my split times for a few different routes.
21/08/2002 at 16:27
Thanks guys,
I think i'll try the maps and string alongside accuroute for a double check.

Dalya - I've actually been thinking of joining the Blackheath Harriers (or asking if they'd let me in!!) But i feel a little intimidated by their calibar of runners, I think I might up my training before I ask!

Thanks again
21/08/2002 at 16:32
I tried to check my distance using Accuroute after a long/hardish session, but my hands were shaking too much to get the mouse to behave! Must try again when I'm less puffed.

Like the dental floss one - I may give that a go!
21/08/2002 at 16:50
I read a similar thread recently and ended up buying an Oregon MR300 map reader for £9.95 from John Lewis (£12 from the Innovations catalogue).

Neat little gadget with a built in wheel that works on any scale map. It's got a built in calculator, key light and compass. Very accurate - and great fun to use.
06/09/2002 at 19:53
I received my copy of AccuRoute with my Runners World subscription today and tested it on my favourite routes using maps from MapQuest.

I'm well impressed - seems very acurate !
06/09/2002 at 20:32
Nessie - solution to the shaky hands - try TrailGauge - www.trailgauge.co.uk.

I've downloaded a demo version, and you just click from point to point, rather than having to trace the route.

Not sure how long the demo lasts before I have to part with some dosh!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/09/2002 at 08:37
The demo for TrailGuage is unlimited BUT you can only have something like 12 points. So if you are doing a flat route with few bends you're fine!
09/09/2002 at 22:38
Buy a pedometer (about £15) to wear while you're running. I have a fit pro pedometer which provides a good idea of distance, speed, calories burned, and running time. I ponder the precise accuracy of distance because I'm sure my stride changes depending what surface I'm running on and if I'm warmed up or not. I figure by the end of the run the distance must average out okay though and it seems about right if compared to the map distance.
11/09/2002 at 13:47
You can buy a milometer for your bicycle and then cycle your chosen running route(s). It is very accurate.

They're about £40.

Or, get your partner to cycle with you when you run, measuring your distance. Your partner can also see your speed on the bike milometer.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
11/09/2002 at 14:18
I use my bike to guage how far I've been but sometimes I cross a field on a foot path or go over sties which makes the bike option more dfficult!
I've just subscribed to the RW mag so will get Accuroute free!
11/09/2002 at 14:41
I just got a Timex GPS Speed+Distance system. It's great. Get one!
11/09/2002 at 21:43
www.map24.com is avery good distance tool. Only measures in km's but very good ans requires no software to download. Works similar to trailgauge, but free, adn unlimited clicks...

seems very accurate... more details I think are on a thread I started after trialing accuroute, and the distances lett me 'short'...

IRW
25/11/2002 at 15:58
Kim

You mentioned joining a club - great idea. However, Blackheath Harriers are actually based in Bromley. Nearer clubs are New Eltham Joggers and Kent AC (based in Lewisham).

Best of luck

Drew
1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.