Do you get nervous before your 18 or 20 milers?

10 messages
05/12/2009 at 20:22

Got my first of 2 20 milers tomorrow. Feeling a bit edgy.

You know the rule of thumb about marathons - that if you can do 18 or 20 in training then you can do the 26.2.

Well I'm thinking - what if it all goes Pete Tong tomorrow morning?

It didn't last year but then my longest was 18.

Looking for a bit of reassurance that pre long run nerves are normal.

05/12/2009 at 20:43
That sounds pretty normal - edgy is perfect!  I'm the same when tackling a long run I haven't done before - or for a long time.  All the best.
05/12/2009 at 21:11
Thanks Moraghan.
05/12/2009 at 21:12

The very first time I did 18m+, I only planned to do about 15m, I felt that good I just carried on. It's the same now. I set off for a long run, and never have a definite number, just an idea. That's how I work. No pressure.

What's interesting is, I tend to add miles to my runs at least twice as often as I drop them.

For me it's about being in control, and not a slave to a 'perfect' schedule.

05/12/2009 at 21:36
No. Likewise, when I'm fit I can breeze through a threshold run

But I crap myself before I do an interval session
05/12/2009 at 21:38

I get more than nervous - I get quite anxious.

But once the first couple of miles are out of the way you generally know if you're going to have a good day or not.

Dubai Dave    pirate
06/12/2009 at 05:07

There was a time when I would get nervous before a long run, but just like anything else in life the moer often you do something the easier it gets, I actually look forward to long runs now, its a chance to have a chat with my mates.

However just like Arclight above I get very nervous about interval sessions and will I be able to maintain the required pace through all the reps etc, its horses for courses!

06/12/2009 at 10:37
Probably a bit late for advice now, but a bit of adrenaline shouldn't do you any harm on your run - you'll soon run it off. Just make sure it doesn't make you go too fast at the start.
06/12/2009 at 12:56

Same as Dave and Arklight, no nerves for a long run but yes for faster sessions, though it's not so much nerves as anticipation of pain/breathlessness.

On a twenty mile lsr you just get tired and bored.

06/12/2009 at 18:14

OK 20 miler done and dusted!

Radio 4 to listen to made it bearable and not dull at all.

I don't do intervals. I did try joining a running club but late nights at school made it tricky to get there on time.

Did a marathon last Jan - doing Goofy this year. Chose a slightly more advanced schedule (last year's LRs were 18) to help with the back to back.

Was feeling edgy as I feel I am slightly heavier this year and wondered what impact that might have. Judging by today - doesn't matter at all.

Good times!

Thanks for the input folks. Just gotta do it all again in a fortnight.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.