Do you use your HRM properly?

21 to 30 of 30 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/07/2003 at 16:39
cheers RR!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/07/2003 at 16:44
that gives me about 145 and 158, I can get that whilst walking!
Oh dear!!
so the 60-70% #zone is for the LSD? hmmm, very slow and only long in time me finks!

But I'll give it a go!
04/07/2003 at 16:58
the zone I've been training in is 149->165, so pretty similar, I've found that I'm almost jogging on the spot starting out on the program and I AM walking quite a few times, but in theory sticking to the program should raise aerobic efficiency to a point that ur actually going quite fast in that zone. It takes about 6weeks for any noticable difference so I'll report back after then.
04/07/2003 at 17:31
I'll have to get hold of the Lore of Running I think.
04/07/2003 at 17:38
EP - you really need to work out your real maximum, forget about the theoretical ones if they seem too low. I've recorded heart rates of 210 bpm in adrenaline fueled sprint finishes, so that's what I use for the basis of my percentages, and it's bang on.

Best way of finding your real maximum is see what you get up to at the end of a hard race (need a HRM that records max HR for a session for this), or Parker's book suggests a hill reps based session that you can try. Finding the max in a non race environment is going to take some discipline though, as it's going to hurt working out that hard!
04/07/2003 at 17:55
I use mine purely for curiosity, i have no idea what my max is, my HRM doesnt record time of over 200 bpm but it has reached that a couple of time doing reps on the cross trainer, is this dangerous?

How do i work out my max heart rate?

I have no idea how to set up the different zones

I havnt been able to try it out running as ive been injured on and off since i got it
04/07/2003 at 18:10
Your max heart rate according to everything I have read is genetic. I know lots of people who record heart rates of over 200 when they are training.

Basically Parkers book just states
1.find your max heart rate by doing hill reps or hard interval session. (maxHR)
2. find your resting heart rate by taking your heart rate in bed over a week as soon as you wake up. (minHR)
3. use formula
(maxHR-minHR)* 0.7 + minHR to work out your 70% working zone
(maxHR-minHR)* 0.85 + minHR to work out 85% zone.
Stay under 70% zone on your easy days and aim to go over 85% zone on hard days.
4. just aim to set the 70% zone in your heart rate monitor but remember you 85% ceiling.
04/07/2003 at 19:52
I use mine to make sure I work hard enough, otherwise I run every run at conversation pace.

Just out of curiousity, how did you work out your max RR? Only 90% WGR sounds unsustainable for a 15 mile run, being akin to nearly 10K pace, making me wonder if your max isn't in fact higher than whatever you're using.

04/07/2003 at 20:00
Laura,

My HRmax is 211 - I first calculated using the treadmill test, ie, 2 reps of 3mins and got 208, but this was when I had only just started running so I don't think that I went as hard as I could have. I got 211 during a 5k race when I started off waaaaaay too quick and really suffered for it later. I doubt that a laboratory test would put my HRmax much higher than 211 which is already quite a high HR I believe.

However, note that I didn't sustain 90%WHR for the entire duration of the 15miles - I varied between 75% and 95%, but a significant proportion was in the 85-90% range. Checking my graph afterwards, it was like the Alps! No uniformity because no effort to control my HR and my body did that for me, ie, slowing me a lot when I was knackered and picking up for a short while again and so on
04/07/2003 at 20:39
Further to my earlier post referencing Noakes and Parker, where I said that there were some contradictions, I have just checked Parker, and there is a chapter towards the back dedicated to periodization (basing and peaking) so as far as I can see, both authors appear to completely complement each other.

There is an online journal which pretty much describes the intricacies of LSD base training and peaking if you don't want to buy Parker. This article is by 'Hadd' and again appears to complement both Noakes and Parker whilst giving a slightly different perspective (thanks to Michael Keeley for pointing me and others in the direction of this journal in an earlier thread)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.