Edinburgh Marathon 2013

8 messages
30/07/2012 at 14:23

Ok, so i'm well aware that i'm 43 weeks out from the Edinburgh Marathon 2013, but since i've never run a Marathon before I thought i'd go about starting my training now.

I've seen most of the advice is to just "build a base" and then follow one of the many 12, 16 or 18 week plans leading upto the Marathon but I was wondering if it is ok to be a bit more structured and do something like the Hal Higdon 1/2 marathon novice training now for 12 weeks, followed by the intermediate 1/2 marathon plan and then following a week off i'd go into an 18 week marathon plan.

Would that be ok to do or is there a far more sensible way to go about building a solid foundation before entering marathon training?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Edited: 30/07/2012 at 15:53
30/07/2012 at 17:00

Richard,

Before anyone can really advise, what is your current base?  Can you run 2 miles, 5 miles etc?  What pace are you at?  How old are you?

Jumping from novice 1/2 to intermediate 1/2 might not be a good idea depending upon your current fitness levels.  It would take some people a year or much longer of training to develop that much.  Personally, I would look at the plans, start with the beginner 1/2 plan but also look carefully at how it will slot in with a full, perhaps longer term, marathon plan.  Most importantly, don't increase your mileage by 10% per week.

Paul

30/07/2012 at 17:30

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm 30 years old.

Any base I had has probably gone, I haven't done more than a sporadic run in the past 18 months. I was running 40 miles per week back in April 2011 (think I ran upto around 18 miles) and could probably go out and run 10 miles today at around 8 min/mile pace but i'm sure it would be a big struggle and I obviously wouldn't try from a standing start.

I thought with going with consecutive 1/2 marathon plans that it would be good to increase my mileage slowly, drop back down for a few weeks at the start of the new plan and thus give my body a very gradual increase in workload over the next 6 months or so and hance reduce any chance of overtraining or burnout while building a reasonable base.

I think the fitness will come back reasonably quickly but i'm just not sure the best way of going about it so far out from the targeted race.

31/07/2012 at 10:56
IV never been as fast as you but I had 20months off and its taken me 8 weeks to get my base fitness to what I say is average but know I can improve. I'm looking at half end Sept, kilomarathon end of Oct then spring full bring either London or Edinburgh. So stay positive listen to your body and U b ok.
31/07/2012 at 11:12

asics website has a 6 month training plan

05/08/2012 at 22:24

I was going to suggest the Asics page too- I'm using it to get ready for London 2013

Good luck!

05/08/2012 at 22:53

I'm using Asics 0 to Marathon in 22 weeks, i'll tell you 10 weeks today if it worked

06/08/2012 at 07:20

Thanks everyone for the replies. The Asics website seems like quite a good system so may give it a shot.

Thanks again!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.