Edinburgh Marathon Training Advice

3 messages
10/05/2009 at 11:28

Having ran for the first time in 3 weeks due to a shin problem, today i managed 18 mile@ 8.28 avg.

My dilemma is do i continue with my garmin plan to schedule or should i tweek it so  i do another longer run the week before the marathon (schedule says 12 miles @ 7.40), obviously i want to get as many long runs in as possible but dont want to risk being tired for my marathon.

This is what i thought.

Schedule                                        Tweek

LR Sun 17 May    18@8.30                                           21@8.30

LR Sun24 May      12@7.40                                           18@8.30

I had planned to run a 3h20 but seeing as i missed training i will be happy with a sub 3h40.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts..

10/05/2009 at 17:42
I'm no expert (this will be my first marathon) but from advice I've been given myself I'd say 3 long runs in the 3 weeks before the marathon is too much.  Why don't you do your 21 next week, then taper after that doing the 12 the week before as your schedule suggests.
10/05/2009 at 20:31

Thanks for the reply B, i think you may be right.

It's the age old paranoia of thonking you havent done enough to get round, usually always unfounded though.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.