every step you take.......

3 messages
10/01/2003 at 00:15
same race again, XC 5km,

i now need to know how to section it, hoping(realistically) to stick in at least the top 15 of my agegroup. beginnning middle and end, how should i break it down to run it up?

answers on a postcrd to here......or you can just post a reply if oyu so wish.

thanks in advance Phil
10/01/2003 at 13:51
The way I've always done my 5Ks (not X/C) - need to know where the mile markers are/would be (more or less):
Beginning (first mile) - get yourself where you want to be in terms of position - preferably via a more even-paced effort than those who rushed off at the outset
Middle (second mile) - hang on in there - bit of tailgating if necessary.
End (last mile) - try to pick the pace up & push on if at all possible. No-one should be passing you at this stage.
10/01/2003 at 13:53
of course the last part is a bit more than 1 mile - but I do actually tend to break the race up mentally into three "thirds" as described.
The approach of a 5K runner of modest attainment.....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.