Final week before great south run

3 messages
17/10/2013 at 10:31

Hi guys I need your help!

im training for the great south run and I don't know what to do for the final week.

A part of me wants to go hard because the last couple of weeks have been disjointed thanks to a minor niggle and a close family bereavement.

at the peak of my preparations I was running three times a week (5k, 4 miles and a long run) and the gym three times a week, though it's not been like that the past fortnight.

Please help

17/10/2013 at 13:32

It takes 2 or more weeks for your 'fitness edge' to start diminishing. Don't do anything hard in the week before a race. Your last long/hard run should be about 3 weeks before any race/event.

Short, gently, slow, or a bit of tempo work. Walking, cycling, swimming - nothing too taxing. Add a bit of stretching, etc.

17/10/2013 at 15:04

Well that's good news!! I'm so excited but at the same time im anxious to get the best time I can - 1.30 would be a dream!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.