First Half Marathon

3 messages
10/01/2013 at 12:51

I have been running on and off for about 12 months and have just signed up for my first half marathon in April. I would be intrested in any training tips to get me ready for the race. I am currently running about 5 to 6 miles 3 to 4 times a week.

10/01/2013 at 13:01

WOW that doesn't leave long to get prepared! I ran my first half last September and prepared with the following.

Ran 4 times a week. 1 session of intervals, sprinting at 80% max effort then recovery jog for around 30 mins.  1 session of a long run, 9-10 miles at easy pace and a session of 4-5 miles as quickly as I could bear.

It's really good to mix up your runs rather than do the same thing every session. Doing the above over 3 months enabled me to run sub 1:40 after having only run for 9 months (and giving up the ciggys!)   Rest and eating well is also VERY important.

10/01/2013 at 16:33

Daniel has kinda covered it - you need to build up one of your runs to cover more mileage, to at least 10miles and I don't think you need to go over 15 miles.  Personally for my first half, I only went up to 10 miles so that completing the 13 miles on the day added extra sense of satisfaction.  The long run should be at least a minute per mile slower than your target race pace.

Intervals are optional, but definitiely help.  You may want to mix this up with tempo runs, which would be 4 to 5 miles at your target race pace (or a bit faster if you feel up to it).  If you do intervals one week and a tempo the next week would probably be the best combo for your first HM. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.