Flora Half Marathon

4 messages
04/12/2002 at 14:06
I'm 49, a stone overweight (used to be 3 stone)and run between 12 and 15 miles a week. I ran 2.02 miles last night in 14 minutes and felt I was constantly pushing myself to do that pace but never felt distressed. Adopting the 1.50 Half Marathon training schedule that appears on this site (40 m a week), would I have a chance of maintaining 7 minute mile pace for the full distance? I ran a full marathon in 1984 (4 hours +) but I don't know how ageing/ overweight might affect my capacity for increasing strength and stamina.
04/12/2002 at 14:19
I think 1.30 is within most people's capabilities if they are willing to do 40 miles a week.

Obviously ability, age and sex comes into the equation but given long enough I reckon that just about all of us could do 1.30 (at least) on that mileage. Have you got a time for a half or 10k now so we know where you are starting from?
04/12/2002 at 14:38
Thanks, I'm afraid I don't have a time. I started running to lose weight and am kind of getting drawn in! This will be my fist race since 1984.
05/12/2002 at 21:38
Joe,

Sounds like you are doing great, 2 stone off is a lot.

Suggest thinking about a target time after getting a 10 k and/or 1/2M under the belt. 40m a week goes a long way to getting good results, time will tell what pace is achievable. 7 minute miling for 26 miles is fast, but hey - if you never try you certainly never reach it !!

Good luck, and give it time

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.