Focused Training - RW [Forum]

1,001 to 1,020 of 1,381 messages
25/11/2004 at 17:57
My treadmill is in a glass conservatory too and I ran on it through the summer. Although I tried to make sure it was before the sun came up 'cause once it did there was no escaping the heat!
25/11/2004 at 18:26
You wouldn't catch me having a cold bath after one of my marathons!!!

I don't think I'd like to race a marathon in the heat, the only one I started was Paris & I dropped out at 30K it was 28 degrees in April & only 26 degrees in London :-)

I've run Barbados marathon pacing somebody round in 3:26 after racing 10K the evening before.
That was fine
25/11/2004 at 18:30
I was in a hotel earlier on this year and the treadmills were next to the sauna!

Lizzie, our treadmill folds up and when down it's just in front of the patio doors of the house. And I've untied the safety bit of string because it's a pain. I'm very good at jumping off though :oD

So you real runners use treadmills too?
25/11/2004 at 18:33
If I wanted a treadmill without loads of features and without a high top speed, just to get in a few evening miles if I'm left holding the fort, how much am I looking at? Interested in the idea of a fold away one in terms of space.
25/11/2004 at 18:36
treadmill, never in a million years!!!!!!!!!!!
25/11/2004 at 18:40
Sometimes a wife and kids can tie up your evenings - if it's a choice between not running and a dreadmill I'll choose the latter:)
25/11/2004 at 18:43
I use a treadmill once a week to do speed intervals on. I like to know exactly what speed I am running at and it makes me maintain the pace. Also takes away some of the pounding on the roads that is inflicted in intervals. I would not do any other sessions on the treadmill as I would get bored and miss the fresh air and freedom that the countryside provides. Or even peeps front gardens. I actually think that my legs run faster than the belt.

Re cold showers etc. When I have had a long run or a hard session, I will visit the gym, (2 mins walk across village green) and relax in the jacuzzi and then have 5 mins in the sauna, where I do some stretches then I will put each leg, front and back under the cold shower for 30 seconds each side, making quite sure that NO cold water goes on my body. I am sure that the cold water, even though it is for a short time does help with recovery.
25/11/2004 at 18:58
barnsleyrunner, without a high top speed? I would suggest 18kph though, 16 is useless! Most of you guys can walk that. Even I finish on 17ish!

For a decent TM you need to spend at least £1000. Also useful is a good belt size, good motor and long warranty. We have the Trimline 335HR, it folds away really neatly - better than all the others. It is the best value for money one that goes up to 18kph, about £1200-1300. There is a Tunturi which does 20kph, but that's ugly, has a naff console and is pricey at £2000. The running belt is very good on the Trimline, one of the longest, firm and no bounce! I spent quite a bit of time researching treadmills and definitely made the right decision going for the Trimline. Don't buy a cheap one, you'll regret it.

Lifefitness have a reputation for going wrong, Tunturi are the same company as Trimline but uglier and the spec isn't as good.

Also Trimline are American where they are generally a tad heavier ;o) You'll be ok up to 21 stone.

Make sure you have the space first though - I mean headroom on full incline! We couldn't have ours in the house. The ceilings would be too low for hubby (he's 6'1)

Is there a John Lewis near you? They have a few treadmills in their Bluewater branch. Go and scare the life out of the sales staff hee hee. Then buy online.
25/11/2004 at 19:07
BT-they have their place when commitments mean one can't get out!

BR-as I only wanted mine for occasional use, preferring like most to run outside. I went for the Horizon Quantum ll, which cost me £800. It only goes upto 10mph though, so for fast guys like yourself it may not be ideal. For me it's great and has enough programmes to keep me happy. I only use it when running big mileage (70 miles)as it allows me to keep some of the strain off my lower legs, which are prone to injury!

I agree with Ceal that they can be boring, but I just blast out some music and am well away!:o)
25/11/2004 at 19:08
Gulp - that much??

If I went and spent that on a treadmill then I wouldn't have the issue of wife and kids any more!
25/11/2004 at 19:11
Ceal-a jucuzzi after a hard or long run sounds bliss!

I had one the night before Cardiff marathon and if it weren't for the fact I was paranoid of becoming dehydrated (it was so warm) I would've stayed there for hours!:o)

If I have time, which doesn't seem to be often these days, I like to go for a swim after a long run. I find that really helps with muscle stiffness. Again I'm sure it's to do with the water being cold and then the swim itself acts like a massage.
25/11/2004 at 19:15
BR-e-bay normally have some on offer! I was very tempted to get one off there myself and it was a 'proper' gym one. There are some forumites who've got one off e-bay. Might be worth posting a thread on gear and asking.
25/11/2004 at 19:25
hilly, it is bliss, the jacuzzi that is. You are right to worry about getting dehydrated. I am the the only person who takes a water bottle with me. Peeps seem to go in and out of the steam room and sauna and not drink anything. I always finish my water and fill it up asap. The jacuzzi has one booth that has a large wide jet of water which is very powerful and one can massage the whole of ones back and legs with it. It's great for aiding recovery. But I must point out as it is only 2 mins walk from our house it is just like going to another room in one's house. I don't have to make a lot of effort to take advantage of the gym.
25/11/2004 at 19:56
BR,

Mary here not Simon. In short, anything under about 1000 GBP, and chances are you're throwing you're money away. Important things are make and service contract, top speed (don't try to kid yourself it's not), a wide and long track, ease of adjusting functions. If you can afford one designed for gym use I reckon it's worthwhile. Good machines are expensive - but, who knows, it might turn Mrs BR into an enthusiast!!!!!!!
25/11/2004 at 20:17
hilly, commitments,

now don't scare me!!!!

yes I agree, I can see them being useful & I have wondered about doing speedwork on them for really windy days.
Trouble being I injured my back getting carried away the first time I used one :-)
Well I wanted to see how fast it could go!

BR, you might be able to power the heating & lighting off of it!
Now that would be a great idea :-)

Glad some of you are going to warm up properly pre-race, look forward to some PB's coming your ways :-)
25/11/2004 at 20:30
Wasn't there a treadmill test in either RW or R+F a month or two ago ?

There is a place in Nottm, Arthur Johnson and Sons, that auctions ex gym equipment every month or so and they always have loads - may be a bit big for a house - though we're having an extension built next year so we might put a decent one in there, along with the turbo which currently lives in the living room.

To be honest I reckon a treadmill with music blasting out might be quite addictive. I know I've helped our eldest with her homework whilst turbo training before - you can't beat quality time with the family.
25/11/2004 at 21:03
I've been on Treadmill's treadmill set-up - all his TV and hi-fi remotes positioned on the machine and mirrors so he can watch tv!

Mary, Mrs BR does do a few miles a couple of times per week but does not seem to enjoy running...
25/11/2004 at 21:20
Agree, I use the treadmill from time to time. Those in the gym cost around £3000, luxury version and you can practice running 4:45 min/mile pace :) I used a few others for home usage, but they are not suitable, very shakey, too slow, too noisy, etc. Either the real thing or nothing. There is nothing wose then bad equipment.
25/11/2004 at 21:35
BR - you'll also need a sturdy floor, preferably on the ground floor
25/11/2004 at 21:42
There you go BR; 3000 quid 15mph treadmill, house extension, mirror, plasma TV and you're all sorted. Divorce into the bargain! :)
1,001 to 1,020 of 1,381 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.