Focused Training - RW [Forum]

1,201 to 1,220 of 1,381 messages
11/01/2005 at 08:02
Oh, I forgot to mention shoes. I was wearing neutral shoes at the beginning and I mildly overpronate. So that could've been a factor too along with having a leg length discrepancy-doesn't running show up your flaws!:o) Now I wear performance trainers, but with some support in them.
11/01/2005 at 08:17
Thanks hilly for sharing that with us. Stress fractures do not show up on x-rays initially, but later as was the case with you, when the bodies natural healing proess gets going, and calcification is spotted.

It is always something that I am sure we are aware of and just hope it won't happen us personally.

I think most of us have a leg discrepency, our bodies are not unilateral.

Yes, hilly, about running showing our flaws, I always think I am deformed when I analyse different bit of my body!!!!! and now it works.
11/01/2005 at 10:41
hilly, thanks. 7 months, now you are scaring me! I decided after last week I wouldn't even try running until all the pain and aches have gone. When I did my runs last week, there was no pain but obviously I did too much too soon. And believe me, I will start very slowly on the treadmill - treadmills accentuate your flaws more than road!

Tim, Whitstable sounds good. I've done a bit of running along the front there when we get seafood and oysters. It's always windy though! I do like coastal runs but that's all I've ever done in races! Fingers crossed for no wind. BTW I hope it's tipping it down and blowing a gale at Ashford on 6th Feb as I'm not doing it... no, that's a horrible thing to say!
11/01/2005 at 11:48
Ok, Whitstable it is then on 2nd May and in case it's windy and I do a donkey time :o) I'll throw in Herne Bay too in June for extra punishment. I know that's got a nasty uphill finish.

I'd like to knock a couple more minutes off my 10k time by then :oD
11/01/2005 at 14:06
Jen, if you will travel a bit further the Hatfield Broad Oak 10K is on the 2nd May Bank Holiday and is super fast with wind being far less of an issue on this course. massive field (1500 last year) and closed roads for pretty much all of it.
11/01/2005 at 14:18
Mmmm...I'm spoilt for choice. Thanks, I'll look it up! I like the sound of super fast.
11/01/2005 at 19:10
That does sound rather nice :-)
I don't like the grass bit in the Whitstable 10K anyway!!!
11/01/2005 at 20:13
If you don't mind a trip to Dorset Jen there's the Poole Running Festival 10k at Poole Park, Dorset in June. 2 laps around the park taking in the lake-normally fast, but hot!
11/01/2005 at 20:13
Forgot to add the field is 1000 and does fill up before the closing date.
11/01/2005 at 20:49
I've always mean't to race Poole but never got round to it!

Talking of leg length discrepancy, I've just read the following.

Functional leg length discrepancy, can occur, from bio mechanical problems [i.e running on the camber of the road on regular occurrence] & so may need orthotics

but

Absolute leg length discrepancy of less than 5-10mm difference if fine :-)

This explains why many years ago, when I was told that one leg was longer than the other & given a heel insert I got injured :-(
I got that injury sorted chucked the inserts away & never went back to the first physio!!!
I think that was the last serious running injury in 1989
11/01/2005 at 20:58
BT-maybe do it this year! They normally have a good quality field in both men and women. An African won it 2 years ago when I did it, sorry no good at remembering the men's names. Also, Hayley Yelling holds the couse record for women.

I have a small heel insert-sorbothane, which I started putting in after my injuries and reading that it could be a solution to my problems, it seems to help or maybe I think it does! I wasn't told to put it in or that I needed orthotics although I have asked the physio and she says I definitely don't need orthotics!
11/01/2005 at 21:06
As I'm doing this LSSM course I've decided to race once a month & June is the Kilnjenburg 15K, & I'm not saying no to a free trip :-)
But 2006 would be good.

If your not getting any problems with it I can't see it matters but it does depend on why your getting those injuries.

I just hate anything like that, anything that is even suggesting I have a problem!!!
11/01/2005 at 21:14
That's one hell of an injury record Tim.

Especially given your high-mileage. Are there any particular principles that you follow? When you ease off? When to escalate mileage and by how much? etc etc.

I'll have been a runner for 3 years come April - have had ITBS twinges (including a serious attack in Rotterdam mara), but less so now. And of course achilles strain which comes and goes. Does that sound good for three years? Of course I am a relatively low-mileage runner.
12/01/2005 at 06:09
Luck I think :-)

Although having started running as a youngster & grown up slowly with the sport as helped.

It say's in this book for every 1000 hrs of running you may get between 2.5 - 5.8 injuries.
So for the average runner that must be every 3-4 years.
I'm not sure if they call a blister an injury!
I wouldn't even if it stopped me running for a day or two.
12/01/2005 at 07:59
BT-my injuries have been all on my calves. My phsio says it's because I've got extremely developed calf muscles and it's down to the way I run. She says I'm not running from the hips, so taking the pressure in my calves. To change how I run would take hours of gym work and personal instruction which I can neither afford or to be truthful, want to spend the time doing. So the next option, which I now do regularly is have massages and ultrasound especially when little tears appear.
12/01/2005 at 08:00
physio.
12/01/2005 at 14:05
hilly, could well consider Poole - nice part of the country and only 2 hrs away but making a weekend of it could be nice.

Tim, based on 7 months of running that I did before the injury, 20 miles a week, 8mph average, that's 75 hours. Whoops. I have a theory that ankles are like shock absorbers and I don't think my left ankle is very good at it. You won't see me running on cobblestones!

Do you have a knack of finding races where the start is higher than the finish? I've had a look at the Whitstable course :o)
12/01/2005 at 14:18
Same at Hatfield Broad Oak :-)
12/01/2005 at 16:12
hilly,

You have run Halstead Marathon, what did you think. Would it be a suitable marathon for a first timer. Me! I do not like the idea of hills. I like the idea that it has a low entry, that it is very pretty. I think that I am not bothered by the lack of spectators and support that they give. I am very undecided. I have no wish to run a marathon, but know I won't settle until I have flushed out the Gremlins surrounding the idea of a marathon OR proved that I always said I would be carp at a marathon.

Being compeitive, I know it is going to hurt more than anything that I have run so far and not only that it is going to hurt afterwards!
12/01/2005 at 18:16
Hey, we're not counting downhill courses in pb attempts are we?

There's a strong school of thought at our club that `pbs' set at the Rothwell 10k and Percy Pud 10k (pre 2004) do not count as they are net downhill courses.
1,201 to 1,220 of 1,381 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.