Focused Training - RW [Forum]

1,261 to 1,280 of 1,381 messages
25/02/2005 at 07:30
So it's up to you what you call your PB!!!!!!!!!
25/02/2005 at 07:54
I agree with Tim.

As long as I've run the correct distance then if it's my fastest time for that distance it's a pb.

I then have course pb's that I compare each year I do the same race.

There are so many variables we could take into consideration right down to the weather.
25/02/2005 at 08:14
I agree hilly, otherwise we would beat ourselves up all the time and almost get to the point where we could say that doesn't seem a fair pb because there was no wind, it wasn't too cold/hot etc etc.

What the hec is a virtual PB?
25/02/2005 at 09:17
I'm with Tim on this one. As he says there are no absolutes in road running. The best measure I can think of, is to compare performances for the same race year against year, but even that is subject to the vagaries of weather.
25/02/2005 at 11:18
For me, I like using the treadmill as a controlled and accurate comparison of where I'm at. My 11k on 2% is 48:08 in early December, I take my 10k split and I know road race will be within 45 secs even with some wind. After the Cyprus trip, I know I could have comfortably gone under 48 mins and I was quite chuffed with my progress. I was nearly 2 mins faster for Brighton than Southend (about 6 weeks previous). Treadmill results were comparable too.

Now, if only I can get back there :o(

In Cyprus, there was another runner at our hotel, but his wife had banned him from running on holiday. When he saw us going out nearly every day, he looked so forlorn, I felt very sorry for him.
25/02/2005 at 11:21
Hi,
Shame about the gap in this thread!
my update!

Not so good the last few months, been struggling since around November with first an Achillis problem, then a really bad chest infection over Christmas, this cleared and then my Achillis flared up again, then Ive had other little problems since then, which has hampered my race and training performances.

Luckily now Achillis is good and other issues are settling down and Im getting back into some quality sessions, Hastings half in 3 weeks is my next race and it will be intresting to see what my progress is.

PBs, mine are roughly the following

3k track - 9:34
5k track - 16:25
10K road - 34:15
10M road - 54:40
Half Mar - 1:14.53
Marathon - 2:43.50

10M road
25/02/2005 at 11:40
Gulp.

Micksta, You're the one who doesn't know the meaning of "easy" running, right? :oD According to Pantman. Doesn't seem to have hindered your times.

I've seen you bombing it down Willington St and through Bearsted ;o)
25/02/2005 at 11:55
Micksta - that 10 mile time looks out of synch with the rest of them when you compare your pbs to mine.
As it stands my pbs are...

3k track - 9:41
5k track - 16:48
10k road - 33:41 (twice)!!
10m road - 57:58 - very soft target - to be obliterated at Folkestone:))
HM - 73:40
Marathon - 2:42.10

I suppose another way of looking at it is that my HM time is better than all the others - I put it into a % table and it came out around 81%.

I would expect to be 30 secs either side of 55 mins if running well on a good 10 mile course.

I would never count a pb on a downhill course outside of IAAF limits. For over a year my 10k 'pb' was 34:44, but I refused to recognise I had run sub 35 mins as it was on a 30 metre net downhill course.

The logical extension is that you could organise a 10k race, make it a big net downhill and bag a 30 min 10k. It wouldn't really mean much.
25/02/2005 at 12:06
JENNYD:

I know the meaning of easy running, its just my easy runs are most peoples fast ones! lol PANTMAN does not know the meaning of a hard session ;p

Yes you probably have seen me bombing it down Willington street and Bearsted, if it was recently then I probably had yellow gloves and a yellow hat! lol

BR:

Yes the 10m time is a little out of sinc, it was done on the Sidcup 10 in 2004, to be honest, I think the course is somewhat shorter than its supposed to be, my true 10m capability is more like high 56 0r low 57s on a good day!

You should PB at Folkestone, if its not a windy day, it can be a fast course.
I would have done the race, but have a track race on the monday and a half marathon the following weekend, 3 races in a week is to much even for the Micksta! :)

25/02/2005 at 15:46
If you're counting net downhill courses for pb's, can I count treadmill on 0%? :oD Sub 40 then... come to think of it, Tunturi do one that does downhill...

How about a one directional course with a strong tailwind?

Micksta, that's my route too. Only I don't wear yellow and although I would love to bomb it, come back next week and I'll still be there.

Thinking of going along to Maidstone Harriers in April (after hols and getting back a smidgen of fitness so I don't embarrass myself too much). Though you've defected, haven't you?

Have to get some lurid orange shorts to go with that vile green vest. Keep the opposition away in races :o)
25/02/2005 at 15:57
Can't really count a race pb on a treadmill, Jenny! Unless of course there's a treadmill race I don't know about:o)
25/02/2005 at 16:03
Oh well, worth a try :o)

I'll cheat any way I can at the mo.
25/02/2005 at 16:17
You can only count races with the little wheel sign!
25/02/2005 at 16:38
I ran along Whitstable seafront a couple of weeks ago, when it was really windy. It was a very distinctive tailwind going out and I thought 'this is great, if only it was a one way race.' Well, if it was an out and back, I would have walked off, not being able to go much faster than stationary going back!

I'm scared off doing Whitstable now. Probably too soon too.
26/02/2005 at 12:36
JENNYD:

You could always get a yellow hat like mine to go with those Orange shorts and green vest, now that would keep the other runners away! :)

Yes I defected to the IEK! but still come along on weds evenings to run with the Maidstone Harriers, they are my local team after all. Yes, your more than welcome to pop along and run with us, for sure your be just fine, there is a wide range of ability at the club.

I look forward to seeing you there sometime ;p

27/02/2005 at 22:08
Hi, just something to add to start another topic of debate within this thread.

Since Christmas I have started a new gym program, which I do 4-times weekly, and have noticed over the last 2-3 weeks, a general stength and power increase throughout my body as I slowely increase weights etc, this in turn seems to have begun to come out in my running, more so over the last week since my achillis has cleared up, and I can actually run correctly again ;)

Ive noticed increased power in my quads on hills and my aerobic capacity seems to have increased, what I mean by this I can actually now false even more air into my lungs!

Just wondering if anyone else uses gym training to supplement there running?

my program is roughly this:-

10-mins Cross trainer, level 11, no hands!
30-mins abs & lower back work.
2x20 Bench press
2x20 Lat Pull downs
2x20 Peck machine
2x20 Upright Rower

Then twice weekly (no races) Legs:
3x20 Leg press 40kg,40kg,50kg
2x20 Abductor
2x20 Aductor

Then some stretches and Roller work to finish the session, takes 1h45mins to do.

28/02/2005 at 10:58
Yep, I do some gym too. And yoga. And after skiing I want to play squash again, which I was pretty serious about for 7/8 years before running. I think running might help squash, but I'm not sure if squash will help running. I don't see much need for 5m sideways sprints. But it does give me chronic bum ache, so I guess I'd probably be running like a duck.
28/02/2005 at 11:06
JENNYD:

Yoga is a good thing to do, I would imagine it helps flexibility a great deal.

How serious did you get with the squash, was you ranked or rated? I guess squash would be good for general leg strength and Aniaerobic fitness, as your darting around constantly changing pace all the time!

Quick question, was you running in mote park around 4:30pm on saturday with a guy wearing a red shirt?
28/02/2005 at 11:33
I wasn't a bad player. Did ok in the club leagues, top few women there. Well, mind you there weren't many women ;o) I'm looking forward to some real humdinger games again.

Nope, that wasn't me in Mote Park on Saturday, though we do run in Mote Park often. I'm currently lurking around the injuries couch again (excuse was the snow really). The last time I ran was Tuesday and day or 2 after, my leg reacted, so I suppose it was a bit unfair of me to totally blame the treadmill. I'm not running again till after the holiday when I can do it properly (hopefully!) instead of 2-3 times a week that my leg currently allows me to do.

You've met Steve, my husband. He went down to the Harriers a couple of times last year :o)
28/02/2005 at 11:41
JENNYD:
Cool sounds like you were quiet good! I used to play League Table tennis but found it really hurt my knees which in turn made running difficult, so I had to give that up. I like Motorsport though and have a stab at endurance Karting when I can afford it!

The break from running will not do any harm, your probably come back even stronger, its something I should do at somepoint this year really!

Whats your husbands second name, the only steve I can remember was a tri-athlete! ?

1,261 to 1,280 of 1,381 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.