Focused Training - RW [Forum]

1,341 to 1,360 of 1,373 messages
17/03/2005 at 22:03
Tom - Almost, only need to throw in a few more "buzzwords" :)
17/03/2005 at 23:25
Tom, as you know we all try and understand as much of the theory as we can but our fundamental beliefs are based on our own experiences as runners, therefore we are trying to give Micksta the `what I would do' scenario. I agree we are all different, and I certainly wouldn't advocate a programme which has no speedwork for 6 months at this point.

What I would try and avoid is the speedwork becoming hanging on grimly for dear life at the end to `seal the deal'.

It is a big step to make. When we are relatively new to running every time we increase training volume OR intensity we get good rewards, so it is easy (and comforting) to think `the more I put in the more I get out'. Eventually we hit a plateau, where greater efforts are not rewarded by better performances and we need to step back and evaluate the next step forward.

I was fortunate when I reached that stage to have Pantman and the Hadd thread on hand to guide me through to the way I train now. Otherwise it would have been too big a mental jump to make to think that easier running can produce better results.

Micksta, you have awesome ability as your FLM time showed. Taking some time to think about where exactly your running is going and how you are going to get there will see you reach new heights in the next couple of years.
18/03/2005 at 11:34
Thank you guys for all the motivation and advice been given, its good to read and gives me food for thought.

When I said canning the season, I did not mean in the way as ``giving up on my running and doing something else`` more like ditching championship races etc, until Ive solved my problems etc. all my future races will be expermenting with different pre-race procedures and build ups etc, Folkestone 10 next week will be the start, if it goes reasonably well then I shall carry on, if it goes bad, then I will take a week off training, that kind of thing, nothing like the disapearing act, you guys have still gotta put up with me afraid! But PANTMAN I guess 2006 will be the year I beat you in the KGP! ;P

I parted company last night with one of my coaches, it was on friendly terms and we both agreed for the best, as he can not spend the time, so I now have a single coach and will join his training group on a full time basis.

Its a start, and with my blood tests etc coming up. lets hope its the start of a re-builing of my running form.

18/03/2005 at 12:09
Like Lee Majors in the six million dollar man. "We can re-build him! We have the technology!"

18/03/2005 at 13:19
Glad to hear you are on the mend, Micksta, and making changes - hope you consider all that has been said over the coming weeks.

BTW, do you know if Lawman is at Folkestone?
18/03/2005 at 13:56
Micksta, I think taking the pressure off yourself by saying at this stage that you won't do the bigger races sounds very sensible, and will prbably help you to take a rational, longer-term view about training.

Very best of luck with your rehab!
18/03/2005 at 16:42
Out of interest and being nosey:o) Are you a coach Pantman?
18/03/2005 at 18:35
Amongst other things, yes, hilly.
18/03/2005 at 18:47

No not sure on the LAWMAN! He popped into Harriers last weds and was mumbling about a bad back so who knows! expect him to be at Paddock Wood though!

Its MR Brenchley I have parted with Im now coached by Peter Mullervy, he used to train GEC Avionacs and M&Ms. and wants to form a super Bud Budaro (excuse spelling) group down at IEK!
18/03/2005 at 19:02
Yep - everyone will be at Paddock Wood, I'm sure. Folkestone will be interesting - being so close to Paddock Wood this year and so far from FLM the field will be different from last year for sure - but better or worse? No idea! The faster course may attract peeps too...
18/03/2005 at 21:42
I won't ask what the other things are:o) Do you coach at a club?
19/03/2005 at 12:02

Yeah difficult to gauge the level of intrest for Folkestone for sure! I would expect a few good M&M guys there, probably John Creane who runs for Folkestone ac.

IEK will have a strong presence, we have potentially a winning MALES TEAM if everyone turns up and runs to there best ability! ahem no names mentioned! ;p

Your right Paddock Wood will be a major major race down here, more so as Thanet 20 was cancelled, if any of us gets a top 10 placement at PW then its going some for sure!

19/03/2005 at 12:23
Micksta - if you ran for your old club then WE would have a good shot at the team prize! Traitor!! :-P

Hilly - not at a club as not qualified in the Athletics coaching "levels" - degree in sports studies - coach via e-mail/phone etc...

19/03/2005 at 12:50

Well that would have depended on who else turned up from the Harriers, LAWMAN would have to race for the Harriers to win a team prize :)

IEK stands a chance of the team prize, whether I turn up or not on the day :P

19/03/2005 at 13:02
If the "smarties" (M&Ms) turn up in force like last year this will all be irrelevant - they'll take the team and individual trophies leaving not even scraps for the rest of us.

I for one view this whole period of time as a stepping stone. I long for the day when it makes no difference to me whether they turn up or not. Maybe I'll live to see that day... ;-)
19/03/2005 at 22:26

Yeah true there, if M&Ms have nothing better to do, then were pretty much knackered as far as winning any silverware is concerned!

I don`t think M&M will be on top for that many more years, there are certain clubs which are now focused on attracting higher standard senior runners and have good group systems and High level coaches trainig them!
TRR are getting good, and dare I say it my club IEK are on a re-building program which should see us giving M&M nightmares within the next 5 years.

19/03/2005 at 22:48
I'll believe it when I see it...
19/03/2005 at 23:03

Seeing as im one of the SENIOR TEAM MANAGERS! I will make it happern! ;p

so if you ever fancy a change of vest colour, your more than welcome to join us,I would welome you with open arms and its a very good place for juniors as well ;)

20/03/2005 at 00:22
Over my dead body, Judas!
20/03/2005 at 06:47
I thought that was the case PM. I've saved your details in my favourites and should I decide to continue my road to improvement (I might just be too old now and have reached my limit) after London and Mike G no longer giving support then I might be tempted to look for a coach. You're not Hadd by any chance are you?:o)
1,341 to 1,360 of 1,373 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.