Following a running plan!!

4 messages
27/07/2012 at 20:42

I'am currently following a RW half marathon running plan (sub 1:25) and was wondering if someone could answer a question?

Running the miles doesn't seem to be a problem but sticking to some of the repeats do.

On different runs i can manage some repeats but not all. eg- 6/7miles inc 4x5mins fast 4x5mins slow

Does anyone else experience this? 

29/07/2012 at 19:00

You're probably running your repeats a bit too fast.  You need to pace them so you finish the last one at about the same pace, or faster, than the others.  If you put a recent race time in here http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

then it will tell you what paces you should be running for which sessions.  Is this your first Half?  1.25 is a fairly ambitious target for a first timer if so.  How are you coping with the mileage?  

29/07/2012 at 19:41
What does the plan class as fast. Is it 5k pace or 10k pace? I used the RW garmin ready sub 1:25 plan for a while, and fast was approx 6min/mile. I can do a 1:25 HM, but struggle to hit sub 6min miles in intervals. The plans mile times for 'fast' is
Fast (5k) 5:57
Fast (10k) 6:15

I'm now using Mcmillan for paces. For a 1:25 HM , Mcmillan recommends mile intervals of 6:01 - 6:12 - pretty much in line with RW. Still find this quick for me, but I am improving gradually over time with my speed. Intervals are my toughest session and often want to quit midway through. Its a bit of a psychological battle. Not running the first interval too hard is important for me.

What pace are you running these interval?
06/08/2012 at 21:40

Sorry about the delayed reply guys.  I have been away recently and not had chance to post back until now.

I really appreciate the feed back about the interval running and im going to look at the Mcmillan site for paces.

I have ran a few half marathons already with my 1st outing timed at 1:32.48 and my current best being 1:27.58 with this advise i will hopefully crack 1:25?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.