FOR SUB 3.10 MARATHONERS

9 messages
29/11/2007 at 10:44

More like sub 3.05 really. Anyway how many 20 milers do/have you done in training including your last long run 3 weeks before or roughly?

Just curious as I want to strike a balance between properly getting myself in shape and burn out obviously. Im thinking 3 x 20 milers and a 22 three weeks before.

Cheers folks.

29/11/2007 at 11:30
none!
29/11/2007 at 11:31

None? lol

29/11/2007 at 12:50
whats the rush?
29/11/2007 at 12:54

Er, no rush, i wont be doing any until I start training. I was wanting to gauge opinions. Cheers for your really informative answers.

29/11/2007 at 12:55
Robert, the general recommendation is 6 long runs I believe. Personally I do more, but go for the 3 consecutive weeks of long runs, and then drop it on the 4th week, and repeat...
29/11/2007 at 13:12
Robert, I did a 3:04 at FLM this year off 3x 20m runs (last one was a 20m race with the 2nd 10m @ MP) but to be honest the only reason didn't do more was that it was my first marathon and I was building from scratch. I was in pretty good nick generally although I wouldn't say my endurance form was optimal. HR drift started occuring about 21 miles and pace dwindled siginificantly after 22-23.

As it happens, I have scheduled myself to do 6 this time round as TT suggests, and I'll decide how long to make the longest (somewhere between 22-24 I imagine) depending on how my legs recover from the first couple.

And obviously this is a sensible time to be asking the question - the more 20+ LSR's you're planning to do, the sooner you'll need to ramp up the mileage. With taper and cut-back weeks I'm due to be up to 20m before end of Jan (for Paris, 1st week in April).
29/11/2007 at 13:23

Yeah hello mate, i was meant to be doing Paris like you but got a place in London so going to do that now. Ive got something going on on the 6th too so kind of works out.

I got injured before Tokyo last Feb so the longest run i did was about 17 miles and i only did one 21 for London but a few 16s, 17s (some hilly too).

I kind of want to push it out for this one which will be my 4th (and pb 3.20 so far) so ive got a good idea what needs doing. Yeah i was thinking of doign a nice slow 20m by the end of Jan. I'd like to do 1 x 22 and 2 x 20s and then some 16s, 17s varying flat hilly. Probably will be about 6/7 long uns i reckon.

I always find you have to feel your way during training dont you. This is the 7th week ive been chilling out literally just a very few lights runs and some swimming. Ive had soreness in my right heel from the last bit of running but thankfully thats heeled up now

29/11/2007 at 13:26

I want to drop atleast half a stone too

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.