Four runs a week for a marathon?

41 to 44 of 44 messages
17/08/2003 at 03:07
Never done any weight lifting.

I am currently doing three runs a week. One speed session with a coach (with 1.7 miles warm up and cool down). The one hour session in the middle consists of techniques and sprinting up hill.
One session is a lng run up to 23 miles and one is circa 10 miles. I average 30 miles a week and am aiming at a sub 4 time.

After Thanet I will then be building up the miles gradually and also adding a fourth day and also increasing the miles so that I peak at 70 ready for London to Brighton in October 2004.
17/08/2003 at 08:38
I don't think you have to do weights Ashley. Hills are an equal way to build leg strength.
15/04/2007 at 21:16
Hi all, you all sound like you have had interesting times training for your marathons..I have loved it and am really looking forward to sundays London race now, my first! Good luck to all. Dave Sheppard Stourbridge running club.
23/04/2007 at 20:04
I've just read some people prefer 4 runs per week and some prefer 3. But what about every other day with a long run once a fortnight. This would actually be sticking to the easy day hard day rule recommended. The easy day being taken to the extreme (complete rest), and the hard day you could push the boat out as well (high mileage), I mean what is the best for 50miles a week training? 10 miles x 5 days a week, or 16miles x 3 days per week. I think that if your training for a distance event then the latter is the best way. Just look at what most ultra runners do - 3 or 4 really long runs a week and no more.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 44 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.