Fri 4-7-03

41 to 48 of 48 messages
04/07/2003 at 20:52
Pizza Man, must have been the Scottish accent! It is the sort of story that would make front page headlines in the Goose Gazette.

Riding home from school on my brand new Raleigh Corsa I was once knocked off my bike by an old man who stepped out in front of me reading the Glasgow Herald. He even had the audacity to blame me for his wreckless and thoughtless behaviour.
04/07/2003 at 21:25
Thanks for the good wishes folks. Things went ok down the gym today which was encouraging. temptation is to rush back though and get really injured. Your problems don't sound too great, Stickless - a speedy recovery hoped for, probably more by you than me!

Laura, 2 weeks without a rest day! Bit excessive isn't it? Mind you if I was fit I'd probably be doing the same.
04/07/2003 at 21:39
Hooray! Finally did this blasted marathon paced run. 8 miles @ 6:15.

The only drawback with the timex GPS is with heavy foliage. The best place to do is run is a flat canal path near my home. Unfortunately I get a weak GPS signal in places, and I managed to go from 6:14 ave to 6:09 in 20 yards, then drifted out to 6:20 over 100 yrd before knocking back to 6:12!

This is the first marathon I've ever included these for. How hard to people find them? Do you just go and do a speed session the day after (not if you're following a Horwill programme I suppose) but it feels challenging without being hard (to refer to DBSA's thread)?

Anyway our track team manager will be less than pleased as he advised us to have Friday off as we have a 5k club race for him on Sunday. Mind you, to him 4 miles is a long run!
04/07/2003 at 22:30
Did my 2 runs today and had a few choice words with an ignorant dog owner on this evenings run.

Running along a lovely coastal path, quite a busy one, with lots of dog walkers. A little ankle snapping black dog comes running up to me yapping at my legs. I shout at the dog to get off and tell the dog owner to get her dog. It continues and the owner says "oh, he won't hurt you!" Yea, right! I tell her she should have it on a lead, her reply "why?"
My reply, "if it's going to threaten people then it needs to be on a lead as consideration to others" She, laughs and I try to run on only for the dog to come at me again. I'm quite cross now and tell her to get her bloody dog! She eventually gets hold of it and I tell her it's not the dog fault it's hers!

Finished my run with no further bother, but it does put me off running these routes because so many inconsiderate dog owners have their dogs off leads and think it's ok for them to snap, jump, sniff you all over!

Rant over!!
04/07/2003 at 22:36
Look back over some threads on dogs, hilly. Apparently threatening them with action under the Dangerous Dogs act really winds them up.

If their dog interferes with my session then it's a problem. It's the dog owner's mentality which spills over into letting one of those horrible bull terriers come up to my 4 year old daughter when she's feeding ducks at a local lake. Get the bloody animal restrained you idiots.

Like you say, the owner's fault, not the dog's.

Sympathy rant over.
04/07/2003 at 23:03
BR, I find it quite difficult to get the right pace for MP runs. Target pace is 6:18, however that would be on a flat road and after a 3 week taper!

As all my routes are quite hilly I tend to base them on heart rates but I'm not sure if I've got it right. The one I did last night at target HR was at 6:45 pace, which is the same pace I did this year's FLM.

Going to try doing one of these runs on the track with 93 sec laps.
04/07/2003 at 23:24
i rested

but do you knoe barry white is dead
05/07/2003 at 00:26
Hilly

If it's a small dog as you say - boot it! You can bet the ignorant owner won't teach it to behave better in future - but maybe the dog will remember the experience next time it comes across a runner.

Laura,
The only prices I've seen for measuring wheels have been in 3 figures (new).

9.3K in 38 mins dead tonight.
A very weary effort. When Matthew has a Friday match, I end up starting these runs around 20:45, nearly 8 hours after my last meal, and having been standing round for the previous 3 hours or so. There was nothing in my legs at all.
One minor consolation - running the last mile along Hoylake prom, while the sun emerged from under the clouds to sink into Liverpool Bay.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 48 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.