Friday 23rd March

21 to 40 of 73 messages
23/03/2007 at 08:50
Morning folks

Managed a 6 last night, Birkmyre i wish it had been the club run you mention in fact it was a serious climb up to loch thom, a good workout and no reaction in the foot. Hows your recovery going?

MikeS - Sue!

BR - I feel for you its very tricky position you are in. I tend (tended) to ignore injury or run through and up till this year have been lucky. 8 weeks off has convinced me that the only way to get better is to stop running for the appropriate time as early in the injury as possible. Good luck though hope it turns our right for you.

WP - Hope you feel better soon.
23/03/2007 at 09:11
MikeS, that sounds like an impressive and alarming collision and I hope your bruises and grazes heal promptly.

BR, what a difficult decision to have to make! But if you can't run hard for more than 5 miles without pain, easing back further on your training and looking towards another marathon would make sense.

Today ...

What: Some sort of speedwork. I'm only paying lip-service to P&D now after having had my training interrupted by life, work and shin-splints, so it'll be what I feel like doing. Which, at the moment, is a 10-miler with 10-12 striders. And no HRM.
Why: Trying to do one faster session a week.
Last hard: Wednesday.
Last rest: 8 days ago.
23/03/2007 at 09:25
Morning folks.

BR - I understand how you're feeling but don't be too hasty. I think most of us have the doubts somewhere in there (I certainly have had in the last few weeks). Like you I look back at my own training and compare it to others on here, soon realise I've put in nothing like the quality or the mileage they have over the last 3 months (yourself included), and decide to get positive about my own situation and not worry about that of others. It wasn't too long ago you were running a 1.15-odd (I think) HM...wish I could say the same! Similarly, I'd love to have put in 80-odd mile weeks on a regular basis, but it just hasn't happened. Still, I'll be toeing the line knowing that I've made the absolute best of my own situation and training (it's all we can do) and that I'll put in my best possible effort on the day. If it's not as good as I hoped, so be it...there's always another one to while away the months in training for!

Looking at AF (apologies AF if I keep bringing you into it!), he's had the consistent streak of training we'd all love to have and to be able to tolerate, but the simple fact is that as human beings most of us can't! It's often frustrating when others can train away unhindered (a 2.31 clubmate seems to have an iron body and can train through anything!), but everyone's that little bit different and has to, from time to time, cut their own cloth to suit.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough, so I'll just say that I really hope that you can have a few easy days to rest the calf, sharpen up over the next couple of weeks and that you're on that blue start.....and that if I do see you on race day it's in far better circumstances than the last time when we were both experiencing our 2005 FLM meltdown (granted for very different reasons).

For today...

What: rest day
Why: to give the knee/shin a helping hand in its recovery (icing last night definitely seemed to help), with a view to hopefully managing a long one over the weekend

Have a good day.
23/03/2007 at 09:27
Another day, another run; woo-hoo !!!

lyrics: yes.

DOT, will add to those wishing your little 'un all the best

MikeS: Car drivers....

Added to that, a first happened to me yesterday out on a run. A car went by and a few red sticks (like matches) flew out at me. Turns out they were fireworks (bangers) and they went off just behind me. Was a little distracting but as I vented my spleen at the car and give them the finger I didn't think any more of it. Just wondered why someone would bother and why they would have fireworks in March????

What: 1 mile w/u, 6 miles fartlek (that word still makes me giggle as I'm a child) and 1 mile c/d
Why: Schedule
Last hard: Weds
Last rest: Tues

Have a good day all,
23/03/2007 at 09:29
Oh and on the Garmin conversation, have the 301 but would rather pay extra for the HRM. It has bands according to your max and these can be used for all sorts of helpful calculations (esp if doing varying workouts). Wouldn't downgrade at all, brilliant bit of kit

Just my 0.01p....
SGQ
23/03/2007 at 09:32
Morning,

What: rest
Why: Friday
Last hard: Wednesday
Last rest: Monday

I've gone the opposite way to GMI with the Garmin. Bought the 301 for the HRM - very interested in the data it produced, but never actually used it for training! So, decided to ditch it when buying new one and went for 205. Ran with it last night (due to it arriving only 6 hours after I ordered it!) and it seems fine. I think we'll be very happy together. Agree that both are great bits of kit, though.
23/03/2007 at 09:34
lyrics yes! At last..
Ultra AJH    pirate
23/03/2007 at 09:44
Morning.

Lyrics, yes. Loads of clues though.

Imski, wasn't ignoring you yesterday have only just read back. I have AJH on the front of my vest and Mandy on the back, you cant really miss me......but I never seem to meet people I intend to!

Rest day today as tomorrow I am swimming in South Kensington at 12 (1000m as part of swimathon team) then have to get dressed, sling some food down me (in me would be better) then leg it to Chingford for the Orion 15. It is in my interests to finish the swim asap.

Should be fun.

Get better soon all those with niggles or illnesses...or collisions!

BR, hope things turn out as you want, but I think you do know what the right thing is.

Dad of Two, hope you get good news about your boy today and he is able to come home.
flyaway    pirate
23/03/2007 at 09:44
It's Friday!!!

Mike, I'm outraged on your behalf! Fortunatley my commute takes me along the Wirral Way and if I have to go into the Big Smoke, I drive through the tunnel. Was your bike insured? Is it totally written off? Needless to say I hope everything heals swiftly.

V-rap: With zero experience of HRMs I'm a clueless numpty, but I just wondered why you're putting in such slow miles now - is it a training thing to want to run at a given (low) HR?

What: 5 miles d&d
Why: FoD HM on Sunday
Last hard: 8 days
Last rest: 7 days

Lyrics: Yes! That brings my score this week to 1/7.
23/03/2007 at 09:45
Mike - ouch! I've been involved in that sort of accident twice, but at slower speeds. Hope the bruises mend quickly.

Vrap, know what you mean about HRM. Sorry that shins and real life are conspiring. Grrrr.

Thanks guys, re my scrappy training and Connemara. I don't see much purpose in degrading even if I could, and the deadline for change of heart was the 1st march. Two reasons: the satisfaction in running a bad half is in fact less than the satisfaction of running a bad full marathon. I shall start with the walkers and walk it if I am nervous about being shouted at for being so disgustingly slow.

Realistically speaking, are things ever going to get better? I'm 54. This ?/&&&&! thing that has made life so difficult for the last 17 years has shown no real sign of curling up like a hoop and rolling away. I must be a working girl now, if only part time, and that doesn't look like changing. I haven't got stamina, mental or physical, to train harder. If I want to "run" marathons, it's got to be now, and in whatever state of shabby training I find myself.

It's candle or curse the darkness time. I'll take the candle. I'll tell a tale that I'm a runner and try to believe it.

The second reason for not degrading? I'm going with my Mr., and he's yorkshire you see.
23/03/2007 at 09:49
Scobos, interesting, I didn't see your post before I posted mine. Same story, different ends of the rainbow. It's one of the things I love about running. It's for each of us the struggle to do what we can within the constraints of our lot in life.
23/03/2007 at 09:51
ajh, we should spot each other tomorrow then!
Michael, I can hardly call what I will do (if I do Brentwood) racing.... lol!
DofT hope your little boy has a speedy recovery.
Mike S - poor you, what a day!
Nrg-b glad to hear bruv doing well
((poppy)) poor you too!
br sorry to hear your calf is still playing up

what: rest
why: schedule and as MC points out I am doing 15 miles xctry sat - not def muddy though Michael
last hard: wed
last easy: mon

good weekends all!
debbo    pirate
23/03/2007 at 10:09
Stuart - I'll look out for you - I'll be with a load of pirates at the back! I'm running to HR (that's my excuse!)
23/03/2007 at 10:15
stickless, lovely post yet again.
23/03/2007 at 10:26
Had a poor night's sleep (about 4 hours in all) and now at college for a full day of study. So I'm quite tired. I had planned to get up early and run if I wasn't getting any sleep but found that by around 4am I was dropping off...only to have to get up at 8am, and had no time to run then.

I also seem to have picked up as bit of a runny nose, which is annoying me.

Will be doing around 8 miles as a recovery, maybe a little less, in the evening though.
23/03/2007 at 10:35
Morning!

What: Did 23km run @9 min/mile before work today :-) Will do a 2km swim tonight.
Why: Because I came home last night and sat on the sofa!
Lyrics: Yes - I'm poot but I'm wise!

Have a good one!

AF
23/03/2007 at 10:49
Morning all,

MikeS: Ouch! Hope you get the claim and the injuries sorted out.

BR: You're on the championship start because you've put the work in and deserve to be there. It's a tough call, but I wouldn't write off FLM yet. You may not have the mega-miles, but you've got a great aerobic base, and you've put a lot of quality in with racing. We all have doubts; I'm plagued by fears I've over-cooked it this time, but if I make the start line, I'll give it all I've got and leave the analysis 'til after. If your injury clears up, and you can get a good week in next week, see how you feel then. It's your decision, but I was relying on you to pace me :-)

GMI: Pedant's corner - shouldn't it be £0.01? 0.01p is your hundredth of a penny :-)

Stickless: Hang in there - we all have dark nights of the soul, but the dawn always arrives. Is Mr Stickless a Tyke then?

What: AM: 8mi with 10k in 36:03, actually 6.25m, so I'm claiming a sub-36 10k. PM: 5mi with something speedy in it.
Why: It's the P&D 8-15k tune-up race that adds up to 13mi day.
Last Hard: Today
Last Rest: 331 days

Have a good weekend!
23/03/2007 at 11:03
Morning all

Still busy at work so not too sure of what has gone on, but commiseratons to MikeS, congratulations to MtB and Gobi, oh, and Stickless - you are more of a runner than many who claim to be.

BR - What Scobos said so eloquently. Why not focus on a few quality runs and spend the rest of your time cross-training. I can point you in the direction of a decent swimming pool if you like :)

What: 13 miles run, 15 miles cycle, coached swim
Why: triathlon training
23/03/2007 at 11:12
Flyaway, I've been saying for ages that I'll give heart-rate training a go (my other half is a train-slow-race-fast evangelist and it has served him very well), and am easing myself in gently by aiming to run my recovery runs under 70% WHR. I'm notoriously technophobic and am not ready to use it for anything else yet, but will do a proper max HR test and use it to structure my training after FLM.

But it's taken me over 5 years to get to this point!

Stickless, a strong and positive post :o) I love your attitude.

23/03/2007 at 11:22
IW - I'll look out for you too. Getting quite excited by it now.
21 to 40 of 73 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.