From 10 to 26 ?

3 messages
04/08/2002 at 18:19
Just ran the Brecon 10 miler ( on a hilly course ). I was going to use it as a training run but my heart rate was so high at the start and I was in good (female) company, that I just kept up the pace and finished in a very satisfying 1hr.32 minutes. Hoorah !!!
On the basis that I want to run a sub 4 hour marathon, how can I best train to keep the same pace for London next year
05/08/2002 at 08:19
The time is fine for a hilly course.On a flatter road course your time would probably be 10-15% quicker ie around 1h20, which is comforatbly inside 4hr marathon pace.
It's a bit early to build up for FLM03 now,but I find it helpful to follow the RW schedules most of which start in January.
Until the year end I'd continue to build on what you've achieved thus far (maybe target a halfM in Oct/Nov) to ascertain how on track you are and also give you some focus over the autumn.
As regards training the key components are firstly the long runs,but also longer intervals - between 800 and 1600m at halfM pace - which will naturally lead to quicker racing.
Based off your time for the 10 miler and with steady and dedicated training sub 4hr is well within reach.Good luck !
08/08/2002 at 00:21
Thanks Dustin. Motivation and focus through the winter is simple - While I'm not looking for a sub four hour, I will still give it a shot, - I'm doing New York in November.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.