Getting Faster!

4 messages
05/09/2012 at 13:27

Hello All,

I wondered if you all could give me some advice on my running in order to up my pace.

I am quite fit and have done a couple of half marathons and a 10k this year (1.48 and 46mins PB's respectively). I am now in full training for the great north, running most days. I am able to run a 5k in 20 mins but my 10k and further times don't improve at all. I have no problem running the longer distances but lack the pace. I have lost 4kg over the last couple of months and I now weigh 74kg. I would like to drop a further 2-4kg.

Please could members offer advice on the training I should be doing to sustain my 5km pace for a longer distance. I appreciate the Great North is too soon but I have the Great South a month later. My current training consists of 1 x circuits,3 x 5km, 1 x 10km and 1 x 15km per week

Many thanks - Rob

05/09/2012 at 14:10

Tempo running and longer slow runs.

Edited: 05/09/2012 at 14:11
05/09/2012 at 16:38

As spen said longer runs.  From your description, I'm assuming all runs are at a similar pace at the moment?  You have the speed, but are lacking endurance and 15k isn't long enough to train your body to run over 20k for the half-mara.  

Just to give you an idea of what you should be capable of, my PB for 5k is just over 20 mins (by just a frustrating few seconds!) and I've run sub-42 for 10k and sub 1:30 for a half. So thats 4 min better for 10k and a whopping 18 mins for the half marathon from a slightly slower 5k time.  So you have plenty of room for improvement over longer distances

05/09/2012 at 17:05

Do  lots and lots of running about 8:30 for the longer runs and the times will drop.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.