Getting my mileage up

21 to 38 of 38 messages
18/10/2012 at 11:31

Well previously I only did the quality sessions and had almost no niggles at all. My intervals were about 6-8 miles, hill run of 6-7 miles and a LSR of 10-15 miles. Total anything up to 30. Until quite recently I was dead against so-called 'junk' miles.

What I am trying to do is listen to the voice(s) of reason and experience (thank you RW forum!) and get some extra aerobic/easy miles in. All it seems to have done is smash my legs...

I feel a bit lost to be honest?!

18/10/2012 at 11:32

I am prepared to not do speedwork for a month or two, provided that it's not going to undo all the hard work I have put in over the last couple of months.

18/10/2012 at 11:51

If you are running more often and more miles than previously then it is going to take a few weeks to get used to. Also, it is very important that you keep your easy running slow enough, I'd say at least 8minute / mile.

It's up to you on the speedwork, I can't say that you definitely won't lose some of the benefits of the previous months, but it will possibly make you more likely to pick up niggles if you keep it in and increase the number of runs/miles.

Also do plenty of stretching after EVERY run.

18/10/2012 at 12:03

Appreciate the advice.

I stretch religously.

What would you say to the idea of getting the weekly mileage up to 50+ mpw, by ditching all quality runs, in favour of say, running 7 miles 6 days of the week (42mpw) for a fortnight, then start increasing one of them (the LSR) until I'm at 50+ mpw?

Or is that a bit of a waste of time in view of the fact that pretty much all of this would be easy miles?

18/10/2012 at 12:13

I think most of your mileage should be easy, otherwise you risk exhaustion or injury. don't worry about taking it slow for most runs. the theory is that this will improve your aerobic fitness.

18/10/2012 at 13:02

I would still keep some variety in there and the long run if you are already doing one.

So maybe have 2 x 6 milers, 2 x 8 milers and a 12 miler and build from there. Adding mileage to a few runs and then you can add another run if you like. I'd say after about a month then add some speedwork/tempo runs.

18/10/2012 at 13:10

OK, that sounds logical.

What sort of paces are we talking about here? I have used the McRun app to get my paces based on a recent 10km time fo 40:42... but it gives me about a trillon paces and options. Recovery run pace, easy run pace, steady run pace...?

So my week could look like 6/8/6/8/off/12/off??

Get that under my belt for a month and then look to convert either an off day or one of thje 6 milers into a speed work session?

18/10/2012 at 13:10

By the way, I really appreciate your time.

18/10/2012 at 13:13

Another option is to vary the week on week sessions by doing say hill work one week and speed work the next and keep all the other runs at a slower or steady pace

18/10/2012 at 13:15

Hadn't thought of that!

I do like hill runs!!!

18/10/2012 at 13:20

It helps break the monotony of doing the same thing every week. I like to have 3 "off" days a week these days where it is purely gym work aiming to do a very light cardio warmup 10-15mins only - on a reclining bike or variable cross trainer (both work the muscles in a completely different way to running) and then get onto the weights machines - relatively light weights leg curls, leg extensions, both at 30-35kg 3 sets of 12-15. don't forget the abductors and adductors and core work (situps and back extensions) and finish with another 10min cardio. with all this I still manage 30-50miles a week depending on where I am in training for my next marathon

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 13:21
18/10/2012 at 13:26

No worries, pretty slow day at work today!

I would say anywhere between 8 - 8:30, even 8:45/mile depending on how you're feeling on they day.

Just go by feel, if you're not feeling great there's no/very little benefit in pushing and being 10-15 seconds a mile quicker on your easy runs.

I'd do that until it's comfortable then maybe replace one of the 8 milers with some faster stuff.

18/10/2012 at 14:57

OK guys! Thanks for your input.

18/10/2012 at 15:05

starting to notice a few aches and pains as i've been increasing my mileage. Still quite low compared to some of the monsters on this forum, but I was up to 23 miles last week and just this week i've noticed a slight twinge in my groin / lower abs, plus i managed to pull my back this morning on the run into work. i suspect just a muscle spasm, so i'll be relaxing this weekend, as i'm off for a short break, and hope it gives me time to recover a little. i guess minor pains are to be expected, but i'll pay attention to them unless they start to become less minor pains.

18/10/2012 at 15:17

Can't remember ever doing a run without a minor twinge or slight pain cropping up at some point!

18/10/2012 at 15:20

Amen to that!

19/10/2012 at 16:11

Agent - hardly monsterlike these days  I struggle to get much beyond 40-45 miles a week on a regular basis (clue is in my profile pic). Days gone by (like 30 years) we used to do 3 runs a day totalling close to 25-30 miles a day for Tues-Fri, Sat rest then run a marathon or ultra (race or training run as a single run) on Sun and easy 5 miler on Mon. Used to log in excess of 1000km a month comfortably - needless to say cost a fortune in shoes.

Aches, pains and niggles are all part of the fun of distance running

19/10/2012 at 16:56

I would even say run as slow as 9 min miles some days.

Or get a HR monitor.  Work out 75% of your max HR and stick to that pace +/- 15 secs. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.