HADD training plan

2,081 to 2,100 of 3,777 messages
14/12/2012 at 13:01

mace - ditto the sentiment for John Walsh.

In this fast living world of ours what a pleasure to actually relax and get fit without too much worry of injury. It's true we (for we put 'I') want to see progress quickly because we have become conditioned in our modern society to expect things pronto (Amazon, Google, etc.) which in turn frustrates us when things don't happen quickly. HADD could be a way of calming us down - the Zen of the running world.

Ok less philosophy - more running. Trying to fit 5 runs in this week which means 60 mins tonight with 30 mins of 80% work, 50 mins recovery run tomorrow and 80+ mins LSR on Sunday - hope that isn't too much. It will put my weekly mileage up to about 32 miles (4 more than usual). Icould leave the recovery run, have a break on Saturday and do 100+ mins on Sunday. Any thoughts?

14/12/2012 at 14:45

mace, I've never actually followed a P&D before, but those bands seem reasonable to me. I think you'll find that you're anle to average more than 80% in the marathon but 80% is a very sensible and cautious start. My 80% runs are around 148-150 HR, I nudge these up to 83% near to target date, and the paces for 83% approximate to my actual MP. I tend to set off at 83% and aim to hit 86-87% at half way. This then becomes the average HR for the marathon, because beyond 20miles I allow the HR to go up towards 90% and then beyond in the last 5k.

BD2000, like your thinking.

Yes I also have read the 10 year thing somewhere.

Lots of stretching and massage in the gym, around a 5M treadie run. Made it progressive, (as I must to relieve the boredom) starting at 11kph and notching up 0.1 every minute. Got to 14.7kph at about 160 HR.

5M in 37:52 HRav 131

14/12/2012 at 14:57
Brian. wrote (see)

I tend to set off at 83% and aim to hit 86-87% at half way. This then becomes the average HR for the marathon, because beyond 20miles I allow the HR to go up towards 90% and then beyond in the last 5k.

Exactly the same as me Brian. Although I deliberately set out slow at Abingdon and average 80% for the first 5k before stepping it up. I averaged 85% overall.

14/12/2012 at 15:10

I saw that documentary also, and agree it was aimed at couch potatoes looking for a quick fix....which we all know really doesn't happen

like most of here I bet, I work with folk many 20.30 years younger who " go to the gym" and are constantly 'dieting' but somehow never look any different. I am past the stage of preaching (which I never have anyway) but do get a bit fed up at times
with being told "running is bad for my knees " and I " must be mad" etc etc I think its rude to be honest...I did kind of get my own back the other night
while walking up to a patients bed with my colleague coughing her lungs up,,the patient said "dont you spread those germs all over me" !!! directed at my colleague

so I said oh don't worry you wont catch anything that's a smokers cough, and was given a look by her that could kill lol !!
but excuse me whats the difference between that and the continuous remarks about my life style ?

Sorry went way of subject..lol.

Stewart my schedule will fall between the 2 I can easily follow the up to 55 as I have been doing 50 mile weeks for a while , but I wont be doing the doubles and may take extra rest days instead of recovery days following the up to 70  depends how it fits into my night shifts

Did a miserable 15.6 miles in 2.30 today very windy/wet/hilly/ ave HR 72 %

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 15:11
14/12/2012 at 17:59

Brian, intresting info on how you run your mara. I start off slow and try to wind things up as the race progresses,

Stewert, have entered the Loch Ness marathon in Sept, so any info on it will be most welcome, e.g. best pub/meal etc

14/12/2012 at 19:52

Roy,

I don't eat out often, but last time I tried it the Snow Goose does decent pub grub, This will be my first marathon, but I have driven the route a couple of times, I hope you've got lots of hills around your neck of the woods, the route is very undulating with a long drag at mile 18

14/12/2012 at 20:10

Brecon beacons 30 min drive from Cardiff. I spend one Sunday a month running over them, most relaxing and therapeutic. 

14/12/2012 at 20:17

Nice part of the world, and those hills will make the legs stronger

15/12/2012 at 00:05

Hi Brian,

Wanted to say thanks for the input on the training. I'll pretty much do what you suggest as that seems to be how things have gone lately anyway. It's a good phase in that I can just run very easy or a bit harder and not really worry about doing any damage. Legs will be good to go again.

Got 2 hrs sleep last night and decided to pull the plug on the run today, so will only get 4 days in this week. Absorbing the goodness...seriously, does anyone else feel their legs tingle when they've not run for about 28 hrs? Mine do and It's like an itch I need to scratch...

15/12/2012 at 10:04
Vt, a pleasure. I'm with you on the scratchy itch thing. I'm gonna experience today too cos I am on a rest day. Cross country tomorrow will bring up about 50 for the week. Happy weekend everyone.
16/12/2012 at 11:51

Week 1 of P&D finished 54M

15M this morning was 8.5M @ 9:00 ish and last 6.5M @8:15 ish which worked out at 8:40 average @ 73%

16/12/2012 at 13:08

Mace, Good running and pacing, only 17 more to go

VT, I don't know about itchy legs but I do get a bit restless if I don't get a run in

Brian, I would also like to thank you for your input on this thread, 

Long run today, decided to do an out and back up to Daviot Woods, which meant that there was going to be some hills.  Once again the HR Monitor went haywire after mile 8, could it be a battery issue, I've been using ECG gel and I regulary clean it, I'll need to get in touch with Garmin and see what they say.

Stats for the run: 16 miles 2hrs 59mins @ 11mm  

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/696098/gallery/16dec.jpg?width=350

I'm relaxing now with a cuppa and a mince pie, it is Christmas after all 

16/12/2012 at 13:55

Nice long runs, NN, mace  and Stewart.

VT, what did you do to get only 2hrs sleep ? Probably a good idea to scrap the run. I only ran 5 times this week -- too much work and needed my sleep too.

Still 52.4 miles for the week.

And the best thing: a 10 miler today with 9 @ 80%, averaging 8mm exactly. Very happy my pace is back where it belongs. Oh, what a difference a few degrees and no snow make! My 2nd 80% run of the week. Too bad I forgot to set the Garmin to auto splits but it felt easy and I bet there wasn't much drift. Happy

16/12/2012 at 18:45
Anytime.
Xcountry for me. 4.6miles of shear pleasure, not!
Difference was this time I could change gear. When the going improved from mud to trail I had a kick to pass a few.
No stats as Garmin was dead. I'm told 4.6 miles in just over 33mins
16/12/2012 at 19:29

HI Chickadeee,

NIce to see the mojo returning at the higher gear. And not a bad week at 50+ miles.

For the record, I was grading exams until the wee hours. The students think they have it bad taking the test, but there's no relief on the other side either.

So yesterday I headed out the door with my wife saying I needed to be back in exactly 1 hr! I was planning a 70% run, but midway through the first mile found myself going a bit fast. By 1.5 miles decided I'd just do a mini 80% run. Even with the extended ramp up, I finished at 7 miles @ 7:21 m/m @ Ave HR 161 (80%). My HR did climb along the run, but the two good things were i) my old injury didn't flare at all and ii) I felt super fresh throughout the run and after. I might keep this shorter 80% run in the mix each week and gently ramp distance up.

Today's run started off fine, but 5 miles from my house my GI tract revolted. Those were honestly the longest miles of my life. But I'm proud to say I held it together all the way home. Talk about a gut check...

16/12/2012 at 21:57

Lots of running getting done!! 

71 miles for me this week inc. 10 miles at 80% and my longest run since my last marathon, 16 miles in just under 2:08. 

17/12/2012 at 09:02

I agree NN. I get all sort of flack for 'being too fit' but make any comment about someone being fat or unfit and suddenly I'm being very rude. At the end of the day, I am sure that deep down they are aware that they are lazy and don't like seeing someone who shows them what they should be doing to be healthy.

It is more mental rather than physical for me VT. I get very moody and irritable if I don't exercise for a few days. What age / subject do you teach? Sounds like the fitness s coming through for you. 

StewartC wrote (see)

Brian, I would also like to thank you for your input on this thread, 

+1. You're training advice continues to be great and keeps me on the straight and narrow Brian. Good LSR there Stewart and nice weekly mileage Santa.

That is a fantastic weekly mileage Gaz. Always nice when the average works out at more than 10 per day.

I ran 60 miles last week. Longest was a lumpy 18m on Sunday in 2.28 - 75% ave HR. Very tired afterwards but needed to raleigh up the energy reserves to prepare and host my 4yr olds birthday party in the afternoon. I also did my 80% run after work and before the works Xmas party on Friday. 14m 1.55 inc 3x20min @ 80%. In actual fact on checking the data it appears as if I spent 1.35 between 75 - 80%. Recovery beer never tasted so good!

17/12/2012 at 09:43

Keir et al, the pleasure is all mine. Honestly, I love talking training especially HR training. I have gathered a good deal of data/knowledge/experience over the years so why not share it? Endurance running is my obsession, even addiction and I don't mind admitting it. The advice is not all one way either. I need keeping in check, and reminders are always useful.

I love this thread...... keep on keeping on!

17/12/2012 at 09:49

Good weekend for me - managed to top out the week at 34 miles (lots for me!), was out 5 times during the week and put in 3m at 80% during a normal session.

Something is starting to happen!! My runs on both Saturday and Sunday were only 70mins each (having put my long run earlier in the week) but both were stable at 74% throughout and my pace on Sunday was a full 30secs per min faster than normal!

Slight change of tactics on the running - actually ran faster up the inclines letting the HR rise but the recovery at the tops was very quick and so I was able to increase the pace yet keep the average HR below the 75%. The last 2 weeks I have included a small amount of 80% work so perhaps this is also having an effect on the slower runs?

17/12/2012 at 10:49
This thread continues to be doing well I see, I've been at brothers wedding this weekend so had to run early saturday and late sunday just a short 4mile yesterday though, it felt hard enough. want to get right back up to full training.

Good luck to those just starting there marathon campains.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.