HADD training plan

2,141 to 2,160 of 3,777 messages
18/12/2012 at 14:15

Gaz: I'm really rubbish when it comes to nutrition . There seem to be so many things that need attention first. E. g. when I come back from a long run I prefer to stretch and have a shower / bath before I even think about eating. And when I get up early midweek I feel too  to face any food. I have to do something about it though coz nutrition is a massive part of the bigger picture. Perhaps I need to get up even earlier and potter about the house, eating a banana or something before attempting my next 80% run. I did that in the summer but that was easier - it was already light when the alarm went off!

I like that 10k workout plan! How does it fit with Hadding though , i. e. isn't speedwork squeezing too much toothpaste out at the top?

18/12/2012 at 14:24

GazOC - thx, HM is main race at moment. Only going by early this year when I took 10 days taper. Realise from most peops comments 7 days should be enough.

Ding Dong - I still have 11 weeks to go - the 6 weeks was meant to be after my 80% build up. Should I be doing some Tempo, Interval and Hills sooner rather than leave until the 6 weeks? Don't want to lose comfort of injury free HADD training - kinda got used to it. Just need to man up I guess and stop messing about

18/12/2012 at 14:24

I have trouble eating until mid morning so I rarely do anything other fan slow recovery runs before early afternoon.

18/12/2012 at 14:28

Great training going on ... not so sure about the names though.

Good to see you're back running Tek!

I'm still ticking along ... work and life have been disrupting any routine (and time on RW). Som,e stats at last ... 11.6M (hilly) yesterday at 71% maxHR came out at 8:55/m, which will do for now. Aim is to continue to tick over with consistent 70%-ish running for the rest of the year and then start the sub-LTs in January. I will also need to shed a few pounds.

18/12/2012 at 14:41

Chick et al, My opinion fwiw is - if you were to embark upon a P&D mara schedule, an HM plan or a 10k training plan, the Hadd stuff has to be left behind. The specificity of a more traditional schedule trains the anaerobic as well as the aerobic system. Whilst you may be able to fit in medium-long and maybe even long runs which may include 80% sections accidentally or otherwise, it is not necessary or wise to combine these intentionally.

The Hadd approach is either used to get aerobically fit, as a beginner schedule for a distance race, as base training to precede something more specific or just as enjoyable downtime between schedules/injuries.

18/12/2012 at 14:54

DrDan, Good work! Wrong time of year to lose weight though - good luck with that!

Even better than mine - Ding Dan Donnelly on High!

18/12/2012 at 14:57

Interesting view Brian. Although I agree with your assessment of when HADD is good, I am not sure it needs to be abandoned. I don’t see the HADD philosophy as purely a base preparation / injury prevention programme.

I think HADD would be suitable for a marathon, but rather than an 18 week programme the marathon would  a long term goal: between 6 months to 1 year. Surely the point of HADD is that you start squeezing slowly right at the bottom and you continually work your way up the tube?

However for target races which we are too soon into that cycle (such as BDs HM) we have to either downgrade the race to a C target and continue following HADD / come up with a fudge (such as my 80% - 85% instead of P&D LT runs) / or abandon HADD and follow a high intensity programme (such as the 10k McMillian one). 

18/12/2012 at 15:31

Keir, Maybe I worded that badly. I didn't mean to say there was any need to abandon Hadd (Hadd forbid!). There may be a switch to specificity for a while, just like icing the cake. 

Edited: 18/12/2012 at 15:33
18/12/2012 at 15:52

Oh. Good. 

I like cake. 

18/12/2012 at 15:58

Keir, Unfortunately crucially, we are talking baking it, not eating it

18/12/2012 at 16:02
Santa Baby chickadeee wrote (see)

Gaz: I'm really rubbish when it comes to nutrition . There seem to be so many things that need attention first. E. g. when I come back from a long run I prefer to stretch and have a shower / bath before I even think about eating. And when I get up early midweek I feel too  to face any food. I have to do something about it though coz nutrition is a massive part of the bigger picture. Perhaps I need to get up even earlier and potter about the house, eating a banana or something before attempting my next 80% run. I did that in the summer but that was easier - it was already light when the alarm went off!

I like that 10k workout plan! How does it fit with Hadding though , i. e. isn't speedwork squeezing too much toothpaste out at the top?

It's difficult to eat/drink within 10-15mins of exercise. I'm the same. And its easy to then get distracted following the shower. I've been forcing a nutrition bar and a shake down because it's the right thing to do.

18/12/2012 at 16:11

Ding Dong and We Three - so having done 14 weeks of base and just started my 80%ers - should I really be looking at an 11 week plan from now rather than a 6 week plan after my inital 80% phase?

18/12/2012 at 16:21

For example RW HM plan for 12 weeks and adjust. Doing 28 - 30miles a week currently on HADD - just wondered if I had done enough to start such a plan

18/12/2012 at 16:45

Well, still working on a name...

Tek, won't be such a long road. I bounced back within 2 months after 2 months of nothing. You'll come around quickly!

Brian, perfect run today. Good stuff from everyone really lately.

Keir, I like the view of HADD as a long term buildup to a marathon. That is basically what I am doing. My goal will be a fall marathon and I intend to just HADD my way there. This time around I'm likely going to limit myself to one quality 80% run per week so I can actually finish cooking the cake. I've only been really doing more than 25 miles per week for about 2 years now (with large blocks down to injury in that span). Hopefully I can HADD strongly all the way to october, which would represent my only year without major injury (knock on something, quick!). Anyway, if it takes 10 years to build the engine, I need some serious shop time. I think HADDing might be the perfect way to keep me on the road consistently over the next few years.

Oh yeah, the eating thing Chick. I'm the exact opposite. I"m at my best when I roll out of bed and hit the road on an empty stomach. Alternatively, I also love to eat a huge lunch and then head out for a run. And Brian, I'm always taking a shower then realizing it's been 2 hrs since the run...too late!

Edited: 18/12/2012 at 16:47
18/12/2012 at 16:57

Interesting debate and good running going on, Ding Dong lovin the new name, Quality!

Met up with a cricketing buddy today, he has a HM time of 1:30 , we did the Daviot wood loop from the retail park, just over eight miles in 81 mins, unfortunetly my HRM is knackered, got in touch with Garmin and they're going too send out a new strap, after a little investigation on the net it appears to be a common issue with the soft strap.

For those that are interested see stats for run below

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/696098/gallery/18dec.jpg?width=350

8.3 miles 81mins @ 9:46mm HR (who knows)

18/12/2012 at 17:28

VT aggree with you on the Hadd training up to a marathon..

18/12/2012 at 18:01
BD, I would do the hadd stuff as far as you feel appropriate. See how your 80% phase goes before deciding whether the cake is firm enough for icing. Don't worry about specificity as yet. Think you will get more benefit from the hadd sub lt runs than any speed at this stage.
18/12/2012 at 18:32

Good runs Brian and BD.

80% day for me again. The by now bog standard run of 10 miles in just over 71 minutes at 160 BPM. Still a bloody hard run on the legs. First 3 miles a little too fast but settled down to 7:10-7:15 from then until the end with no drift.

18/12/2012 at 18:35

BAH HUMBUG!

18/12/2012 at 18:43

Thats a hilly run SC, no wonder your HR is a little all over the place/

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.