HADD training plan

201 to 220 of 3,777 messages
17/11/2011 at 22:34
Hi bluenose, daft queston time - do you take vit c supplements?

18/11/2011 at 17:27

completley baffled by this hadd training HELP, Just been out on a fairly flat  6.3 mile run , 2 weeks i ran at 140HR in a time of 1h 2mins and that pace was painfully slow but i have struggled with that pace , so took it up to 150HR for my runs, 3mins slower than my 5k pace ,which was 9 m/m all was going well till tonight, i did the same 6.3 mile run at 144 AHR  and came 2m30s slower ??????????

HELP WHAT AM I DOING WRONG !

18/11/2011 at 17:51
Curt, See my post on page 10, yesterday at 11:09
18/11/2011 at 18:40
Brian : Do you think I should stick with 150 hr as 144 and 140 hr are so painfully slow and bordering on 11 minutes a mile, yet 150 hr gives me 9 m/pm
18/11/2011 at 18:52

CW, If I were you I would persevere with 70% HRmax, if that is 140 than so be it. The pace will increase over time. But the 5k pace + 3mins seems a popular alternative, it's up to you.

18/11/2011 at 19:25

Brian. i'm gonna go with the 5k pace + 3mins , and keep an eye on the AHR then decrease it by 5bpm as the pace increases .  

I have time on my side not gonna race till june next year , then hopefully a H/Marathon in october ,

So i will just have to knuckle down and get on with it cheers Brian

19/11/2011 at 10:50
curt - be patient and the results will come.  I had one of my slowest ever runs on Tuesday, then on Thursday I had one of my best.   Today i had another good run.
19/11/2011 at 11:02
After nearly 12 months of resisting a cold I have succumbed to a real belter. I have the measure of uk strains but am clearly not equipped to deal with their eastern European counterparts.

No running for a bit. Shoulda taken me vitamin c!
19/11/2011 at 13:42

Cheers for the support guys , done 7 mile today at 147HR at 9m/m and felt alot better, almost 1min 30 secs a mile better than last night at 144HR , like i say time isn't an issue , as i want to do it properly and get things right so next winter it doesnt take so long in the build up stage .

here's to many nights and days of easy running

19/11/2011 at 15:14

I'm loving this thread was one of those that did it back in around 2004 running not possible at the mo but when i do it will have to be base  this is good training patience is the key Like the great man once said no use keep digging up your potatoes to see if they're growing

20/11/2011 at 07:29

Lamb Chop - bad luck getting a cold, but you'll soon be back training again

curt - good news on the much better run

Hi Pammie - good to 'see' you again, another Hadd disciple.

Off for my Sunday run now

Crash Hamster    pirate
20/11/2011 at 10:57

FWIW, zinc tablets (which tend to include vit C) have done wonders in keeping me away from colds; there's even some science behind it too; well worth a go at this time of year!

curt, that sounds like a much better run! That's about where I'm at at the moment too; 7 miles in a second under 9 min miling at 148 average. I'm still seeing good improvement, but my PB MP is just a trouch under this pace, so I expect it'll start to tail off soon.

Rest day for me today

20/11/2011 at 14:02

Had a day off HADD training today and competed in a 10k race.... I was curious to see if two weeks of HADD training had made a slight bit of difference.... Prior to HADD, very few of my training runs were over six mile, and now very few aren't.....

According to the Frank Horwill (which is quoted by HADD), I should be running 10k in 41.50 (off a 19.59 5k time) but hadn't broken 44mins before..... Today in lovely conditions, I completed 10k in 42.20, felt really fresh at the beginning, bar the legs.. legs felt like they belonged to someone else....  Felt I had a lot more strength, than in previous race's.....

Back to HADD training tomorrow, and at this present time, am happy were its taking me.....

20/11/2011 at 17:24
Good one Bluenose - put your feet up and celebrate!
20/11/2011 at 18:25

Crash Hamster, not so good today 5 mile at 9m/m at an average HR of 154 , i tend not to look at my HR whilst running as it puts me on a downer if i am to high , so just running at 9m/m at the moment, and recording the HR when i download it. Although i felt tired today after 30 mins in the pool learning the art of freestyle , not very well

Bluenose74, great race time just goes to prove that hadd does work , which will motivate me more

21/11/2011 at 09:48

Pammie, like the potato comment

Well raced Bluenose!

Run easier and longer for better results. Improvement will be slow on 45min runs. Try and lengthen the runs (or at least 2 per week) to 70mins+

21/11/2011 at 13:25

Bluenose - great result for your 10k.

21/11/2011 at 19:56

Cheers fellow HADD'ers... Last night and this morning legs still felt remarkably fresh, unlike after the last few races I've done....

As mentioned yesterday, am only two weeks into HADD, but have been training all year round (except when ill or injuried)..... I do have a decent iniial turn of foot, but drastically lack stamia.... With focasing on the HADD program, I feel it'll give me a good stamia base, plus its a good program to do during the winter......

Again guys Thanks......

21/11/2011 at 21:07
Good result BN74  - that is exactly what I am using HADD for  - stamina building .My last couple of runs have not been to HR, just running freely but the HADD training is showing promise. for me at least.
21/11/2011 at 21:23

I'm a new recruit to the Hadd cause. Been running since Feb 2009 and recently completed marathon No. 4 in Frankfurt for a new PB of 4hrs 12min, an improvement of almost 17mins on Mittelrhein back in May. I've taken a grand total of 36mins off my first marathon time, Stratford in Apr 10. I've managed 2 44min 10Ks and a sub 1.45 HM, all this year off a Hal Higdon intermediate plan for the first half of the year which I felt gave me a reasonable base. I followed a RW Garmin plan for Frankfurt which I felt really good with, the variety helped a lot.

So I started Hadd last week, aiming for sub 140HR, it's a level I find easy and fits well as I'm still in recovery phase from Frankfurt. Next week I shall do a MaxHR test and the following week a 2400m Hadd test, which will hopefully give me the right info to work off. If all goes well, this winter will give me a better base as I'm starting earlier, 2 main races for 2012, Dusseldorf marathon in Apr and Cologne marathon in Oct.

Only problem I'm finding at this time of year is it can take a while for the HRM to settle down, I put it down to the cold snap at the moment drying out the contacts. This morning's run, I was averaging 239 and 198bpm for the first 2 miles and  222bpm for the last. Otherwise it was 132-137bpm for the 5 miles inbetween when I upped the pace a bit.

There endth the life story

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.