HADD training plan

2,361 to 2,380 of 3,777 messages
04/01/2013 at 08:53

DrDan, theres been a lot of lurgy about, hope you are feeling better soon. Good target for 2013 - are you still up for BM?

chick, I guess the 200/200 session is aimed at changing gear. As mere mortal distance runners, we tend not to work on a kick.

No talent = work harder! Hope the hip is feeling better?

Andy, you don't believe in talent? You know of coro on the sub-3 thread?

mace, good on you publicising your targets. That's a big chunk to knock off the HM, good luck with all of them. Run the run.....

VT, did you say minus 12 fahrenheit? Thats -20C!!!!!!! I've run in -6C but I think thats the coldest. Good luck with the test results, as you say I'm sure it will be nothing.

SC, good work warming up before your group run.

04/01/2013 at 09:23
Brian. wrote (see)
DrDan, theres been a lot of lurgy about, hope you are feeling better soon. Good target for 2013 - are you still up for BM?

Yep, I'll be there ...  not expecting anything fast though!

04/01/2013 at 09:27

DrDan, must admit it's come around quickly, probably too quickly for me too. See you there. Anyone else doing BM?

04/01/2013 at 11:40

Brian  I tend not to run on comparable ground tho.  I like to try different routes all of the time.

04/01/2013 at 11:59

fair dos spen. Just thought it would be useful seeing how low you could keep it.

04/01/2013 at 13:17

Run Wales - welcome ... pretty good summary of HADD

Brian, I'm basing my targets on my recent 10M time. I ran the half in September and have built mileage and improved since then. Also the half was my first race and my HR went through the roof so i bottled it  as i was fairly confident of something close to 1:40 at the time.

04/01/2013 at 13:19

Mace - I never watch the HR during a race...... I sometimes wear the gear but turn off the reading for HR.... I run faster that way

04/01/2013 at 13:26
mace wrote (see)
Chick, that does seem a lot of miles considering it doesn't seem that long ago you were recovering from a mara in which you pb'd !? Hope easing off will do the trick.

Marathon was on October 7, so quite a while ago. I'm base building right now and will start with proper marathon training on Jan. 14. That 61 mile week was a bit of an accident as I missed my long run the week before due to icy rain and conditions too horrid even for Yaktrax...  so I basically did 2 longish runs in 7 days

Hiya RunWales

VT: good luck with the colonoscopy. Boy, -12F is mighty cold

04/01/2013 at 13:29

VT - blimey that's cold, i bet that shower was bliss   The doc thing is to do with the blood ? Are you still getting it ? I've experienced similar in the past ( not often though, and very slight ) and i'd say if it's not a regular thing you don't have a problem. I've not researched it though ..... it's never bothered me enough to.

AGF - it was my first race so used it as a comfort dummy  My HR went mental so i panicked a bit and took it easy but had a great race as from halfway nobody went past me and i ran a 3min neg split ( 55 + 52  )  

A grew a pair for my next race and ran to target pace  

04/01/2013 at 13:31

Chick - Oct 7th ?? Blimey, time flies when you're 'hadding' fun

ps. hope your pace has lost it's shitness now

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 13:32
04/01/2013 at 13:40

Another week done and dusted and a distance pb to boot, 48.4 miles @145(76%), have a good weekend guys and gals

04/01/2013 at 13:43

Fine mileage Stewart, a few weeks of that and i'd expect to see a nice WOW moment to reward you for your dedication.

04/01/2013 at 14:22

SC, cracking stuff and weekly mileage! Keep knocking on the door and it will open eventually.

Stock recovery run for me. Seems I am back to near normal after the Xmas blip. Less than 1000 beats per mile.

8.26 miles in 68:13 @ HRav 120

04/01/2013 at 16:22
brian I have seen a few posts here an there but I dont tend to follow the sub 3 thread much during the off season so tend to miss alot an so not aware of coro's background- enlighten me

Also well done on the sub 1000beats a mile. thats efficient stuff that is. I'm hovering around 1150 at the moment.

today I nearly managed to get sub 8:00pace for 70% effort but from 6-15.78m the hr crept up from 70% to 75% just decided to maintain 8min pace rather than 70% (140bpm) once excess pounds have burned off I'll stick to hr. I just find I cant get into a rythym if I go slower than about 8min pace.

Been doing high mileage to try an burn off the lard. 60m so far this year.
04/01/2013 at 17:17
Mace, Brian, I'll keep knocking at that door and if it doesn't I'll take a sledge hammer to it!

Do you think I should keep Hadding until say 6 weeks out from my HM? 10 weeks this Sunday
04/01/2013 at 17:32
Why not keep hadding till 6 weeks out from the HM or even later SC since a half marathon is 99% aerobic an 1% anearobic then surely an 80% run amongst your 75% running will be pretty much as good as you can get.

Maybe brian can help here. Similar to sc'squestion I'm begining to wonder if next october (chester marathon) i'd be best doing purely hadd training an nowt else right up untill taper time.
04/01/2013 at 18:12
Run Wales wrote (see)
From reading.. I think that they key to good long distance running is
  • anaerobic running ability is almost unnecessary for decent half/full marathon running
  • When you train below the LT (preferably just below), then you build up and optimise your aerobic running system (e.g. increasing mitochondria function) - burning body fat, burning it with oxygen, which is very efficient (rather than the inefficient anaerobic chemical breakdown of glycogen in the muscles)
  • If you train above the LT, this does NOT train your aerobic function (or at least, it doesn't train it very efficiently... I assume that it gets some benefit, although I'm not sure I've seen that written down in Hadd articles.)
  • I had thought that if you go faster than the LT pace, then you give MAXIMUM training to your aerobic system  -  and ALSO train your anaerobic system.  I think that the fundamental point of Hadd, is that this is a common and very substantial misconception.

If you can read those carefully, and tell me if you think I've correctly grasped it, I'd be really grateful   Especially the 4th bullet point.

If anyone cares to expand on these, or add to them, that would be great.

Cheers

Thanks for your comments Brian & Mace, I'm a bit surprised I grasped it quite so well.  Just to be annoying, I'll ask some supplementary questions!

• At roughly what distance does anaerobic capability become particularly important?  10K?
  • I presume that to be a pretty decent marathon runner, you need only aerobic ability.... but that to be a really good runner, you need to spend some time training in above LT.  True?
  • If you're running above LT... can anyone quantify HOW inefficient the training of the aerobic system is.  I presume that it is not 100% efficient, but above zero %.  But roughly how efficient/inefficient is it??
  • I did say that running at below LT meant you were combining body fat with oxygen....  but the question arises ... why would you need to build up your carbs / glycogen levels prior to a marathon, if you're only burning fat?    Is it purely that you need to use some anaerobic running if you want to optimise your race time, or is there another story?

Thanks a lot for your time

04/01/2013 at 18:19

Stewert.

as you know I am doing the Loch Ness marathon in Sept, I will only HADD train, no icing on this cake for me this time, see what transpires.

It will be my 3rd road marathon and to be honest I feel I am still on a learning curve.

So I am with Andy on this one.

04/01/2013 at 19:12

Run Wales -   Point number 4.  Is a contradiction of point 3 surely!?!

04/01/2013 at 22:51

Hi Mace,

Only had the blood that one day. Have been tip top in every way since then so likely a blip. If you look on the web, it's been shown that distance runners can get ischemia (loss of blood/oxygen) to the colon during long and/or very hard runs (blood diverted to muscles and cardiovascular system to support the run). Loss of oxygen to the colon can lead to cell death/sloughing...this causes bleeding. Many runners report this. Usually the scenario is after a long, hard run, you feel like you're going to explode (runners trots) and some blood can be seen when going you know what. That's likely what happened to me, but the extra test is to rule out out inflammatory bowel syndromes like Crohns/IBS or diverticulitis or worse polyps (precancerous or cancerous). The advice I've been given is to rule out all the bad stuff cause it's all managable if caught early.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.