HADD training plan

2,421 to 2,440 of 3,777 messages
06/01/2013 at 15:38
AtD, good luck with the commonwealth qualification.
JB, good to see you are back, and hope you manage the calf situation up to York in October.
SC, good long run.
Daeve, welcome. Patience is the key. Good luck!
06/01/2013 at 15:39
Apologies refresh thingy
Edited: 06/01/2013 at 15:42
06/01/2013 at 16:13

nice long runs hollers and stewart

Atd - impressive target there and i hope you do it, all the best

Johnny - that sounds like a big breakthrough. Well pleased for you and hopefully you can clear the injury problems and get a clear run of training now.

18M long run was my longest yet this morning and ended up at 18.2 in 2:30, so 8:15 ave @ a smidge under 75%. First 9 at around 8:40,  7 @ somewhere around 8:00 and a couple a bit quicker to finish. Was surprised how good the last few miles felt but sure felt like i'd had a workout and have done plenty of stretching since.

Week 4 of P&D done, 62M

06/01/2013 at 17:44

Cheers all.

10K on the treadmill, concentrating on footstrike. After reading a lot about it I am pretty certain I am a midfoot/balls of foot striker which is OK and one less thing to worry about.

10K 78% - intentionally going a bit quicker than normal as I need to get a few miles in before BM HM in 3 weeks

06/01/2013 at 17:49

Hi All,

Been unable to post for a while due to work and family commitments.

I have been hadding now for 6 weeks and had my first big breakthrough/WOW moment.

I have over the past 7 weeks increased my weekly mileage from 45 to 68 miles.

At the start my 70% pace was between 10.15 to 10.35 m/m and my 75% pace was between 9.45 and 10.00 m/m.

Over the past week I have noticed a increase in pace in these zones. At 75% I am now running at 9-9.15 m/m and 70% I am running between 9.10 -9.30 m/m.

By way of illustration last week I did a 17 mile run in 2hrs 47 at 9.50 m/m with Avg HR of 73%. This week I did the same run in 2hrs 39 at 9.23 m/m with Avg HR of 72%.

Introduced 80% runs two weeks ago, last week did 8 miles at average pace of 8.50m/m. This week aimed to do 9 miles at 80%.However, got HR to 77% and pace felt fast so didn't push on to 80%.Pace was 8.30 m/m. Could have run for further at that HR/Pace. Is it normal after weeks of 70/75% running to find it hard to get to 80% or should I have pushed to reach 80%

06/01/2013 at 18:04
Well done Preston, impressive improvements
06/01/2013 at 19:08

20 miles for we today.   Kept it at 10:30 min mile all the way around.   Yet to look at the HR data but for the first 13 miles or so im at about 73% then it drifts up to about 78%,   More running at this pace to be done. 

Im quite suprised how my pace has dropped since I was injured/loss of MoJo after the North Downs Way 50 in August.  Hopefully it will come back.

Last 4 weeks milage is 40,45,30 and then carried away this week and did 60!

Recovery week this week now,  But at least I can follow the plan for my first two ultras!

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 19:10
06/01/2013 at 19:19

16 miles today at 68%MHR time of 2.37mins

16 miles this time last year at 69%MHR time of 2.55 mins

yes patience is the key,same route and similer weather.

06/01/2013 at 19:57

Some impressive long runs being posted. at last the weather is more conducive to getting out there and more importantly, staying out there.

Preston, yes it IS normal for 80% to feel hard, but this will be only for the first couple of miles.Typically I find that it takes me 3/4 to a mile to get to 80% and then another mile or so for it to feel "comfortably hard". Congrats on turning a corner, this is normal after starting the 80% stuff.

Rest day for me - hoping for the tightness in my calf to disappear. 54 miles for the week. Big week coming up for me, 90mins tomora, intervals wed and 5mile tempo friday.

06/01/2013 at 23:56

Nice work Preston and Roy that looks a good chunk of time off with  a slightly lower HR.

Preston the 80% work will feel tough at first but it will seem natural soon.

07/01/2013 at 08:47

Oh heck....  I've missed reading about the 80% stuff (or more likely, I didn't take it in, amongst the mass of information!).  I've got more reading to do!

Anyway... need to buy a HR monitor some time soon, so I can turn theory into practice.

Thanks for advice to date.

07/01/2013 at 10:04
JohnnyBike wrote (see)
10K 78% - intentionally going a bit quicker than normal as I need to get a few miles in before BM HM in 3 weeks

Make that 2 weeks!

Good to see you back ... and with hope for the calf issues!

Nice improvement Preston and good mileage Spen.

Brian - I think you're going to kick ass at BM!

I've finally thrown the lurgy (I think). 3.6 mile test run on Saturday - bit wheezy but okay, and enough to convince me I was over the worst. Sunday was an early morning hilly 11.6 miles at 71% maxHR. I think BM is going to hurt.

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 10:04
07/01/2013 at 10:06

Daeve - welcome. I was in the same boat as you about 5 months ago when I started HADDing. Seemed impossible to get my heart rate down to where I wanted it. Persistance  paid off - I can now comfortably HADD at 75% of Max HR with an improvement in pace close to 1 min . When I started it was 11:30 and I'm now at 10:35 at 75%. These numbers do not set the world alight but at 53 I'm OK with that.

JohnnyBike - welcome back Like you I was prone to calf injuries before HADD. Have been injury free for 5 months now UNTIL this week!! Now have a niggle in my soleus which needs attending to. I can only put it down to increasing my mileage too quickly whilst at the same time taking on SUB LT runs at 80%. Whilst I felt I was ready for these perhaps I just need to throttle back a little. I am making great progress on pure HADDing and I know it will continue.

Just a note on pasting data - all I do (if like SC you have SportTracks) is right click on the header bar for the splits and it offers 'copy' - then I just paste in the forum box. Not as pretty and best keep the columns to AvHR and Splits rto avoid over complicating.

07/01/2013 at 10:21

DrDan, good to see that you are back in the land of the living. Thanks for the BM vibes! I think my calf issue is down to the extra weight I'm carrying. I haven't upped my training much over the last 6 or 7 weeks!  

Gym this morning for some TLC. Really light session, basically powerplate, foam roller, stretching and some abs. Calf feels much better, but still not 100%

07/01/2013 at 13:26

phwoar - a weekend without checking in and half a million posts to go through

Johnny: glad you found a good physio and a solution to your injury woes.

BD: hope your calf injury is short lived (as short lived as my hip niggle which - like you - I put down to a high mileage week).

Great improvements, preston!

And quite a good number of long runs banked this weekend by many on here.

Cutback week for me, so I only did 14 for my long run yesterday. It was hard work in the wind and rain but quite happy with 8:40 pace and 72%. 54 miles total for the week.

07/01/2013 at 14:18

Dammit Dr D - only 2 weeks to BM as you say. I thought it was 27th. That is going to be a painful workout. My big challenge is to be within 45 minutes of my last HM (which was in 1989 and a PB). Well actually my challenges are to get there on the day uninjured, then to complete the race injury free and finally to worry about the time.

Thanks BeDe re pasting data - I must experiment a bit

I do think you have to be careful when going to the 80% runs, especially if you are doing decent distance in them. It is bound to put more pressure on your body as well as making you feel tireder

07/01/2013 at 14:59

Well, after an interesting discussion with my wife about the dark side of my running addiction, only got one run in this weekend. So made it count. An 80% for 9 miles (up from my recent 7 milers). Kept the HR pretty stable until the last two miles. I felt really good so pushed it deliberately. The pace was a down a bit from previous efforts but the take home was it felt great and comfy throughout. So ended up with 41 miles on 3 runs this week.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/718815/gallery/ilthr_1-6-13.jpg?width=350

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 14:59
07/01/2013 at 15:05

The "dark side of your running"?? Do you dress as Darth Vadar ?       On a serious Note - thats good running VT - Well done sir !

A cutback week of 54 miles sounds very good running to me Chick !!  Well done.

A nice early 12 miles for me this morning -= enjoyed it afetr a days rest yesterday. fresh legs always feel good !!

07/01/2013 at 15:19

chick, hope the cut-back week has worked as far as mending the dodgy hip.

VT, I hope you explained to MrsVT that there is no dark side to running.

Did a marathon paced session with a colleague:

11.86 miles in 89:20 (139)

middle 70mins@7:20 pace (144 / 78%)

Happy with that - was just aware of my calf, nothing more.

07/01/2013 at 16:30
mace qaulification is 1st jan 2013 till 1st june 2014. The idea of the task is duanting because I qiute frankly dont even know if I'm capable but it just seems like the next logical step to try an get a wales vest. Had north wales but wales vest would be pretty sweet. they do say goals are ment to be just about achievable. I allways have had a more mileage based mentality. I havent told anyone I know that this is what I aspire to achieve because i think it just looks like another fellow who thinks it'll be easy and straightforward whereas in reality i know it'll be unbelievably hard work to just to qualify. Interestingly the pace required currently happens to be my 16:22 5k pb pace of 5:16. So its not impossible if looked at in that way.
Another thing is aswell I would love to achieve something memorable for pride sake.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.