HADD training plan

2,861 to 2,880 of 3,777 messages
20/03/2013 at 16:13
DrDan, I (we) did the 1/4 milers on the stretch of tarmac next to the sub-station.
I used the garmin and we took 60s recovery walks.

NN, 2 way forward for you at this point. In true hadd style keep going with the 80% runs till the pace plateaus, OR focus more on the marathon and up it to 83%.
83% for me equates to mp within 5s per mile.
20/03/2013 at 16:50

NN: This whole training malarkey is very confusing. Perhaps it's not too clever mixing 2 different training plans   But I like the HADD approach - I think it's really working for me. When I did P&D on its own I was simply running too fast. I feel a lot more in control with HADD.

21/03/2013 at 03:12

Howdy folks,

I've been absent for a while due to work stuff and some travel. I took yet another trip...this time to Santa Monica with my wife (she had a meeting so for once I got to tag along). I found a 10 mile bike path along some of the most beautiful beaches I've seen. Logged 50 miles in 5 days and had a couple of holy shit moments. My fitness is slamming into me right now since getting some better rest and more consistent weeks put in.

Picked up a copy of P&D on the trip and read it through. I'm thinking this might be a good, structured plan to follow for a fall marathon (keep hadding with 1 80% run per week until then). I'm torn though as the 55 mile plan doesn't sound quite enough while the 70 mile may be too much. Might have to walk between the 2.

And I finally went in for a colonoscopy (remember I had been passing blood around christmas...happened at the conclusion of a 70 mile week after a long run). Well, all was completely normal and the doc said it was likely ischemia to the colon. Apparently he's seen this pretty commonly among distance runners. I'm relieved that all is well down there and also to know it's probably not a big deal if happens every once and a while. He said if it happened with high frequency I'd have to cut my miles.

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 03:14
21/03/2013 at 09:44
VT, great to hear alls well.
21/03/2013 at 12:19

Good news VT!

21/03/2013 at 12:47

VT - relief!!

21/03/2013 at 12:49

Lost mojo at the moment - training has dropped right off (was only 25 - 30m per week anyway). V.Busy at present and lifestyle not conducive to getting some miles in.

Will have to start getting some discipline back - does anyone else feel the same after a race??

21/03/2013 at 16:11

VT - great news !!

BeDe - maybe your body's telling you to take a bit of a break ?

Chick -  Hi !!! You're right, i had every intention of doing my 14 MLR this morning based on HR ( having done a V02 session yesterday) but P&D got the better of HADD and i ended up running progressive without realising it. It's becoming ingrained i think and will take some discipline when i go back to my old buddy HADD.

21/03/2013 at 16:49

VT glad all is well.

Moved forward by one week my unloading period  due to a sore throat. Tried a 5 miler at 71% today and apart from feeling stiff all seems well.

22/03/2013 at 14:26

Great stuff, VT! Happy to hear everything is alright

roy: hope you beat those pesky bugs.

Hi mace . I canned my VO2 sesh this week . I have a bunch of niggles that I can just about control with high mileage "normal" running. Scared about those reps setting off something ...

BeDe wrote (see)

Lost mojo at the moment - training has dropped right off (was only 25 - 30m per week anyway). V.Busy at present and lifestyle not conducive to getting some miles in.

Will have to start getting some discipline back - does anyone else feel the same after a race??

Yep, I usually struggle with mojo after a major race effort. Take it easy. Your body will tell you when you are ready again. I call it itchy feet

OK, 2nd MLR of the week d&d. 15 miles. Tough conditions (snow, wind, cold). But happy with the outcome. I think I was right in assuming that 83% of max. HR would equate MP . Never got to try it during one of those HADD MP runs as my HRM was playing up and it took me a while to get it replaces.

Here's the geeky bit

15 miles - split into 6 chunks of 2.5 alternating steady/MP/steady/MP etc

w/u       8:24   127   70%
MP:      7:40   142   78%
steady: 8:04   142   70%
MP:      7:42   146   80%
steady: 8:08   142   78%
MP:      7:42   149   82%
c/d:      8:19   140   77%

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 14:35
22/03/2013 at 17:11

chickadee - fantastic stats - luv them

Keep up the good work - Im hoping my feet will start itching again next week

23/03/2013 at 09:59

thanks

I made a typo though ....  the 1st steady bit was av. 140 - 77%  

23/03/2013 at 20:29

Im sure it'll come back BeDe  Im in week 2 of no running with Achilles problems and Im desparate to get back out there - though its snowy at the mo. 

24/03/2013 at 14:35

Hi all have done a couple of Hadd style runs this week but have had a huge difficulty with my HR staying steady (especially after particularly challenging days at work) so have also done a couple of faster paced runs, ignoring my HR.

However today I managed a LSR of 13.5 miles with my HR averaging 140bpm which is about 72% of my max HR.

As my HR appears so much higher then everyone else's on here I decided to do a few hill repeats yesterday to give me a better idea of what  my Max HR- my HR after 3 hills was 193bpm, I couldn't do anymore as the snow was getting too heavy and the underfoot conditions were deteriorating fast. So for those in the know does this sound about right?

As I have a HM 2 weeks today I feel that for my own peace of mind that I need to do a couple of runs at race pace in the lead up. After this I can concentrate a bit more on Hadding as my next race is the Bewl 15 miler in July (I do have a 10k in May but I want to concentrate on longer distances - so am not worried about that one)

25/03/2013 at 09:36

Lisa - Im no expert but MaxHR can vary quite a bit, mine is 183, my wife's is 163.  In John Parkers book he suggests a fresh pair of legs eg after a rest day and hill repeeats of 4 or more as your HR does continue to rise.

Im interested in the physiology of the debate earlier - is there any evidence to suggest that Lactic acid 'damages' the mitochondria in the slow twitch muscle ie is there a trade off somewhere.   Anyone know?

25/03/2013 at 15:56

Lactic acid damages muscles fibres (acidosis) ... so there is indeed a trade-off between aerobic development and high intensity training, as I mentioned earlier.

10.3 slushy/icey/muddy miles yesterday on the towpath out on the west side of Leeds and another 8 miles today on the nice new tarmac canal tow-path in central Leeds. Cold ... roll on spring!

26/03/2013 at 05:53

Thanks Dr D, was just wondering if there was more out there covering this subject and how this impacts training etc.  I found this link on wikipedia regarding lactic acidosis 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acidosis

Interesting that this is - lactic acidosis - is the first stage of rigormortis   ...makes sense!

26/03/2013 at 15:04
Leecampbelluk wrote (see)

Thanks Dr D, was just wondering if there was more out there covering this subject and how this impacts training etc.  I found this link on wikipedia regarding lactic acidosis 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acidosis

Interesting that this is - lactic acidosis - is the first stage of rigormortis   ...makes sense!

Crikey

15 frozen miles this morning with 10 @ sub LT. Very happy to average 7:49 (bang on MP) and 82% of max. Yeah, whatever happened to spring?????

26/03/2013 at 15:59

Mojo back - started running (well plodding) again yesterday - hurrah!!

26/03/2013 at 17:35

Explains what happened on my 1st marathon I was suffering from rigormortiis, felt like I was dieing at the time.

BeDe due to the detrimental effect of speed work on HADD training I dont run over 85% MHR

for the first 4 months of the year, just focusing on 70%-85% efforts.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.