HADD training plan

3,081 to 3,100 of 3,777 messages
13/05/2013 at 20:52

Tis v quiet in here at the moment, everyone ok?

Really need to work on my pace - tried for 6 miles @12min miles tonight and ended up at 11:39 though still managed 72% of WHR and the wind was gusting up to 45mph! A couple of times I had to turn round so I could breath 

13/05/2013 at 22:32

I've got the lurgy so a few days off

14/05/2013 at 13:15

Andy - still here

2 weeks into the spine brace and every time I get driven down the road I normally run on I feel so pi***d off

14/05/2013 at 15:41

Sounds hard, BeDe

I did my first 80% run since the marathon. 10 miles with 9 @ 80%. Was struggling with massive gusts so pace was pretty uneven. Av. page 8:10, av. HR 145. Not too bad. Couple more weeks down the line and I should be where I was pre marathon.

Always takes me ages to recover

14/05/2013 at 16:46

Still haven't run since the disasterous parkrun on 6th April ... things have improved over the past couple of weeks, so I may try a test run at the weekend (surely 6 weeks is enough!).

14/05/2013 at 17:05

Dr Dan - my sympathies.

It's the foot as i remember??

14/05/2013 at 20:19

BeDe hope you have a speedy recovery.

Dr Dan desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Spen your doing the only thing you can, that's rest.

And hi to all the rest of you

Tewksbury half this Sunday.

Really looking forward to it as its flatter than the Worcester half I ran and had a PB of 7 mins in a time of 1.38.48  five weeks ago

14/05/2013 at 20:25

Oh dear, sounds like a sorry bunch, 1 Lurgy sufferer, 2 injuries and 1 in Recovery - glad your all still around and hope your all back to running soon (BeDe, you can have extra recovery time!)

Hill training today but didn't feel like running the 2.5 miles to my 'designated' hill so stopped around 1.25 miles from home and a hill that until recently reduced me to walking though it's actually not as lone or steep as I thought (maybe it's all in the mind?)

Garmin puts it at either .1 or .11 of a mile and anything between 34 and 41ft Incline. as I'm Marathon Training I guess it's too short? I had 5 goes at running up it 52, 53, 52, 54 & 55 seconds so quite pleased with how close the times were and about 8:20 min miles.

Even after taking my walk breaks out of the averages BPM was just 142 (67% of WHR). Am I not working hard enough? too long a recovery (about 2 mins), .1 of a miles isn't far enough to get it up (ooeer), just not got the speed/stamina yet? And lastly, would I gain more benefit running up longer hills?

14/05/2013 at 21:00

Andi 1 min work and 2 mins recovery don't seem right, now if you turn it round to 2 min work and 1 min recovery, and over time cut recovery and or increase work load.

You could also as you get fitter rather than walk down hill jog down so keeping HR at a higher level for the next uphill run.

Hope this doesn't sound pompous.

14/05/2013 at 21:10

Roy, basically my thoughts, guess I wanted to hear it from someone else and nope, not pompous at all - makes perfect sense. The bigger hill I planned to run is 1/2 mile long a quite steep, last time I did some repeats on it I ran until I got to 80% then turned round and walk/jogged till it was 70% then repeated. 

If I can't be bothered running the 2.5 miles to that Hill I'll drive it if it's not raining and it's off road too so safer

15/05/2013 at 13:35

Andi, sounds like the elements are against you for sure.  I hate running in the wind! 

I attempted my first 80% run this week - ha!  Not the most successful!  I will try again next week and see how things go.  I've re-read Hadd and I'm now working to most of my runs being at 145bpm with one or two a week increasing to 160.  I seem to find it harder to keep HR steady when I'm going a bit faster - major focus required!  Easy runs are definitely getting easier though.  I had to consciously increase my pace to get above 140 this morning.

Sorry to hear of everyone's tales of woe - hope you're all back on track ASAP!

15/05/2013 at 22:36

RR, am with you there, I don't particularly like running in the rain, snow, heat but HATE high winds

With all the hills here my HR is always up and down (see what I did there) so look to an average over the run though try to keep an eye on my current HR. Like you I'm finding it takes longer to get my HR up and ran a steady (but slow) Mile yesterday before WHR reached 60% - used to be a hundred yards or so.

15/05/2013 at 23:22
Brian. wrote (see)

I ran the first of 3 5ks on wed eve. Pleasantly surprised with 18.22. Was originally hoping to get into 17.xx territory for the first time in years. But if I can knock ~ 10s off that I'll be happy. 2 more to come on the next 2 Wednesdays. 

Nice one Brian. That will have been the Esholt race series.

John

16/05/2013 at 21:10

Oh dear, I must try to get this pacing thing right Was supposed to be 30 mins at MP today (11:16) but the first mile was 9:20 and thought 'ello, sub 5k on the cards'. 9:20, 10:05 and 10:15 later I ran the final .1 and finished in 30:35 - still my best 5k time since starting running again so happy

Average WHR was 70%! Am thinking I have a stamina issue lol.

16/05/2013 at 22:07

Well guys and gals - off to the Spanish mountains tomorrow for 10 dyas rest and recoup. Should be interesting going through airport security with my metal cage on .

Look forward to reading how you've all got on when I return.

Andi - can't think of a better place to train than Mull!! HADD starting to kick in? along with the supported marathon training? Keep going!!

Rubbish - don't worry about the 80% being awful, it actually takes more out of you than you think. After running @ 75% or less for 16 weeks I remember then running 80% once a week - and yes it certainly had a great effect on my base running but also I nearly got injured - so easy does it - you'll be fine.

Johnny Bike - welcome back How is your training going?

16/05/2013 at 23:14

BeDe, hope you have a good break/recouperation and have fun going through customs I have a friend that walks with crutches and they take them off her then wonder why she won't walk through the detector - it's because she can't walk without them!

and yes, Mull is a lovely place to run and slowly learning to like hills I do think HADDing has helped but need to work on endurance I think - a few LSR's should help that (as would stopping smoking I guess).

18/05/2013 at 09:18

There will not be many on this forum that smoke Andi.

My training is going well, 35mpw and starting to feel stronger. A good mixture of easy,steady and tempo runs. Lost 9lbs since Jan. Feeling very positive.

18/05/2013 at 09:45

I stopped smoking when I quit drinking.   Nearly 2 1/2 years ago.   Best thing I ever did.

Im not running till Monday.   So I will have a full 8 days off without running.   Hopefully I will not lose too much fitness.

Edited: 18/05/2013 at 09:46
18/05/2013 at 12:25

35 miles a week sounds good Johnny if I get my weekend runs in I hope to hit 30 miles for the first time ever.

spen, fingers crossed your break refreshes you and you return with more injury

yup, smoking and running are not good partners, just had a friend give me 400 duty free fags so it would be wrong to try and stop now

18/05/2013 at 15:21

Spen, I just took a 10 day break...my runs right after the break had a higher HR for about a 10-12 days but everything was back to good within 2 wks.

I gave up nicotine in 2004 (mainly chew but cigs when drinking too). The absolute best thing I have done in my adult life (aside from marrying my wife and having my kids). Going through life chained to that monster is no way to live. Now my only major addictions are Coke Zero and, of course, running.

So my toe seems to be holding steady. Got a nice 80% run in on Monday (day after returning from Italy) and nailed an 18 miler on Thursday. No lingering effects after either of those runs (and got 55 miles in this week). Game on.

Am circling on my target marathon for the Fall. Think I'll run the Twin Cities Marathon. It's supposed to be absolutely beautiful (think Minnesota foliage in October as the course winds through wooded running paths along several lakes and the Mississippi river). Tough 2 mile hill near the end but fairly flat overall. I grew up in MN and my family is still there...would be an awesome trip. Gotta stay healthy.

Hope everyone else is recovering/doing well with the dings. Dr. Dan, did you try your foot?

Brian, how did #2 go?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.