HADD training plan

3,221 to 3,240 of 3,777 messages
03/06/2013 at 13:44

Aaaargh - just wrote long reply to everyone and my machine's deleted it 

Basically, thanks for the kind words everyone.  Bede, yes the splits are at just below 75%, my max HR is at least 200 so working off these figures from the Hadd document.

Andi - hope you're feeling better!

Khan - I know you'll be tired of hearing this but maybe consider repeating your max HR test!  You're much faster than me in the marathon and I think you're doing yourself a disservice with those slower times.  I'm definitely no expert though!

Brian, won't get carried away as I don't have time to do much more!  Also, I'm not sure how I'll feel about jogging along when it's chucking it down with rain! Reality will kick in again!!

Hope you all have a great week!

03/06/2013 at 14:35

Rubbishrunner - yup i'm definitely doing another max hr test for sure. Just waiting for this minor cold to clear up. This time I am going to do hill repeats rather than running 800m and 400m. I'll see if I can make it go higher on the hill! Not looking forward to it though

03/06/2013 at 15:48

Khanivore ... just make sure you're HR is already ticking over nicely before you start teh hill repeats (otehrwise you'll burn out before maxing and have to do it all over again ).

Well I think I'm back. After last week's 2M test run, I did the parkrun on Saturday as another test (ran with my daughter at 10/m) ... all okay ... so did 5.5M today at 9:07. After 3-4 miles, I could still feel a mild stiffness in the foot arch/heel area, so still a case of proceed with caution, but at this stage I think I'm better off runnign than not.

03/06/2013 at 15:51

Welcome back Dr Dan! Thanks for the tip. Will warm up before hitting the hills.

03/06/2013 at 16:36

Dr Dan

So what treatment? Rest? Flexing? etc or any special inserts?

03/06/2013 at 17:07

BeDE ...Mainly rest from running  ... 8 bliddy weeks of it. I'm sure I should be doing more flexing, icing, massaging, etc but I struggle to remember to do that kind of thing during the course of my manic family routine. I did ice it and use inbruprofen when it was at its worst ... but after that stage I just made sure I didn't run on it.  I may still find that it's too early to return ... but the only way I'll know is to start running again genbtly (and no more 5K races against my boy!).

Khanivore ... yes, the secret is to do the hard stuff when the HR is already reasonably high but before you're too knackered. So the warm up should gradually build up in intensity so that your relatively short time going hell-for-leather can get the HR the rest of the way up to max. Good luck.  

03/06/2013 at 20:00

Just thought I would say   I hate running in the heat!

03/06/2013 at 22:36

Peeps, am halfway though my house move (well 20%) but just popped in to say my shoulder is a lot better today thanks and since Khan has been going through a hard time with the 70% I tried a 5 miler without going over 70% of HRR and failed

I didn't walk (1st mistook) and just tried to slow down, the splits were 54% 70%, 72%, 72% & 72% (avg HRR was 68%), average pace was 12:12mm but progessively went from 11:15mm to 13:13mm so am guessing I have no stamina (yet). Am going to set myself a goal to run at the same avg pace and sub 71% at all times. Its the flattest 5 miles run close to home (still a 2 mile drive) and just 300ft.

03/06/2013 at 22:44

Spen, you said it. Waited all winter for it, but when it arrives I want it gone! 80% run Sunday in 95% humidity (I looked like I had just gotten out of the pool when I walked through the door after). 7:12 m/m @ 78% average...felt great until the last two miles...then the heat literally reached out and got me. Kept pace and, strangely enough, HR, but was wasted after.

Dr. Dan, great news. I'll remain cautiously optimistic for your reboot. I had some scary heal pain after my 80% run (came on that night)...ice and stretching took care of it and the PT lady says I'm probably fine, but was thinking of your news and feeling very small and vulnerable. Rest today and will try it cautiously tomorrow.

Brian, nice week of training (sub-70% average = superhero fitness to me). Nice discipline.

04/06/2013 at 12:42

Andi that's pretty CLOSE man - I would be very happy with 72% lol. 

04/06/2013 at 14:22
spen71 wrote (see)

Just thought I would say   I hate running in the heat!

+1!  Must remember to take water with me on my next run. Today wasn't nice. Only 9 miles but I was so thirsty

Dr. Dan
: great to have you back. Hope the foot is sorted.

Khani: an alternative to a max. HR test on your own could be hard parkrun (or any other shortish race, maybe even a 10k where you go hell for leather at the end). Ever thought about doing one of those? I find it nigh on impossible to get to max. HR on my own but a competitive situation will push me just that leeetle bit further. Just a thought ...

04/06/2013 at 15:19

I've never maxed out in a 5K (never mind a 10K) .... the intensity it too much too soon, so you're too fatigued and/or full of lactic acid by the time the end comes. It might work for me at a parkrun if I ramped up the effort from MP to HMP to 10KP to 5KP to hell-for-leather-P.

No run for me today ... foot is okay but being sensible. 15.4 hilly bike miles this morning due to an extended commute route (out into the sunny countryside) with another 5 miles still to come to get home.

04/06/2013 at 15:42

Dr Dan - my road to recovery will probably start with the bike (easier on the spine!!).

Are you doing the same intensity that you do whilst HADDing? e.g. 70% - 75%? Does that work? I know using different muscle groups - just thought it would be a good way to start return to fitness before jiggling the old back about.

04/06/2013 at 16:29

BeDe, I tend to just ride and not worry about HR ... I'm more concerned about staying alive in Leeds rush-hour traffic. I don't avoid hills (in fact I often go over the biggest hill in the area) and sometimes I make use of a nice empty bus lane to push hard. I'm rubbish though ... would much rather run!

Edited: 04/06/2013 at 16:30
04/06/2013 at 16:47

9 miles at 132 bpm today which is 71% of my 'to be validated' max hr. Pace was a blistering 13:45 min/mile!

04/06/2013 at 18:40

Hi all weather is fab, but don't it affect the HR!

well Welsh 1000m was great, perfect weather ( overcast ) with a chilly wind on the Mountains but not too hot in the valleys.

Had a pb of 1hour and 53 mins which gave me 2nd place in a time of 6 hours and 4 mins, only 23 mins behind the winner, and 34 mins  in front of the 3rd placed man.

Legs are shot to pieces, cant go upstairs without some oohs and aahs yet.

I honestly put it down to HADDing  For me I am convinced its the way to train, and I cant wait to start training for the Loch Ness mara next month.

04/06/2013 at 19:31

Roy, awesome PR (BTW that's an incredibly understated statement!!)!!!! You might be the absolute poster boy for HADDing.

Today was a bit of a fest(hadd)ivus miracle for my training (further proof of the plan). Did an easy run of 12 miles in much cooler weather...this run felt effortless from start to finish...see my splits below...overall the pace was brisk (for me) from the start but I didn't need to raise my HR much to keep it or increase over the last miles. Overall averages: 8:02 m/m HR 144 (72%). For comparison, I ran an ~ 8 pace in the 1 marathon I have done. This is where all those 80% runs are starting to pay off.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/718815/gallery/6-4_run.jpg?width=574&height=382&mode=max

Last, I've switched over to the P&D. I wanted to thank all you guys and gal for the great comments/suggestions. I will follow their plan but as I feel insert some longer 80% stuff to what they suggest or perhaps just add it in place of a MLR in certain weeks...what I can appreciate is that this plan will force me to truly recover between hard workouts...and I need the regulator...also makes it so mentally relaxing to just follow some instructions and not have to decide each day what I'll be doing.

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 00:31
05/06/2013 at 11:08

Roy, Great stuff on the podium. Hope you recover quickly.

VT, Love it when a plan comes together. Good luck with the P&D stuff.

80% run for me at lunch, in what looks like perfect conditions. No excuses!

05/06/2013 at 12:05

Roy, congratulations!  That's an amazing PB!  Well done

VTrunner - your splits are fantastic.  I don't think I could 7.xx anything, especially not at the end of a run!  Enjoy your marathon training and hope it all goes well!

05/06/2013 at 12:31

Congrats Roy! Brilliant PB in a tough race .

Great run VT! My stats would look the other way round ... i. e. splits getting slower and slower with each passing mile   Enjoy P&D. I'm starting on July 1 using their 12 week plan up to 55 miles for a half marathon. Not doing an autumn mara this year.

I fancied something different today and did a few hill reps. I've started doing some strength exercises and drills too. Normaly they scare me but my legs really need more power in them, especially if I want to go sub 3:15 at Boston next spring.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.