HADD training plan

3,321 to 3,340 of 3,777 messages
13/06/2013 at 08:17

Morning all.

Disappointed to go 67.11 at Otley. Had to walk twice with a stitch. But a good blow out anyway. Back to hadding now for 3 more weeks.

13/06/2013 at 08:54

Brian: Ouch, stitch really sucks - still a great time with a run/walk strategy

Andi:
I assure you, all 3 reasons are valid, but c) is obviously the clincher here

Chickened out of my sub LT this morning - it was pouring and the CNBA fairy crept under the duvet... TBH, I felt I needed the extra zzz

13/06/2013 at 14:27

VT good 11 miler yesterday

Spen good plan, especially if you're looking at ultras

DD nice running along the canal

BeDe hope things went ok at the hospital

Andi hope you enjoyed the day's rest

RR I have the same problem - if I join the club run, it's basically 2.5m downhill (nice pace, low HR) then 2.5m uphill (HR spikes, then won't go down once we're back on the flat).  Last time around I avoided the club runs and stayed on the flat, nursing my HR/pace stats, whereas this time I've decided to ignore the pace stats and enjoy the club runs...and the hills

Brian sorry to hear you got a stitch - as Chick says, that's still a great time

Chick sensible decision - hope you get it done later in the week.

---

7.6m with a 75%max lid for me this morning, then 3m of 200/200 fartlek. 

13/06/2013 at 16:57

Never mind Brian ... I'm sure a 67 min hilly 10M didn't do you much harm though!

Chick ... lazy.

Teknik ... nice and aerobic ... well until your started fartleking.

Ditched the bike commute today when I saw the weather forecast ... actually it's been okay and I'd probably be able to sneak home before getting drowned. However, instead I did 1 mile (4x400m) of front crawl in the pool, so got drowned anyway.

Edited: 13/06/2013 at 16:58
13/06/2013 at 17:34
chickadeee wrote (see)
 I just set my Garmin to display HR only and stick with it. It means I do a lot of rather slow running on some days but as long as we train in the right zone we will benefit.

Chick, I was going to thank you for suggesting going out with just the current HR being displayed however, set off today and somehow managed to stop the timer as soon as i started it and it was only at the first mile marker when the alarm didn't go off that I realised what happened - if I had my normal dashboard of loads od data I'd have realised sooner what I'd done. Anyway, elapsed timed for the first mile was around 9:42!! Ignoring the missed mile Garmin tells me I ran 4.5 miles @10:33 pace (43 seconds faster than planned Marathon Pace) and at 69% HRR  If this carries on I may have to rethink my 5 hour time though knowing me I may keep the time and make it a less painful first Marathon.

Brian, sorry to hear about the stiches. I've managed to run them off most times and stick my fist where it hurts.

Txs Teknik was a nice rest Sounds like a great workout today

13/06/2013 at 17:53

When is the marathon Andi?   (save me reading back)

13/06/2013 at 17:54

Tis Loch Ness spen, 29th September.

13/06/2013 at 18:00

Andi - great pace at 69% - I'm sure you will smash the 5 hrs with that HR. Don't forget you'll be running at a higher HR - and as long as you've put the miles in stamina shouldn't be a problem. I reckon its all those hills that are sorting you out

Brian - tough luck on the stitch - so far something that has thankfully passed me by

Doc says another 4 - weeks in the brace And absolutely no running (or cycling - little did he know!) for 6 weeks. So back on the bench for a while longer. Still I will take heart from all you guys and gals putting in some great runs. I was really looking forward to a summer of HADDing as well - so beginning of August I guess will be my new start date - that then gives me a good 3 mths running before the winter sets in - will have to start slow.

13/06/2013 at 18:05

Txs BeDe, looks like I've turned that magical HADD corner and things are coming together

Are you going to heed the Docs advice and lay off cycling? it would be terrible if it slowed your recovery and personaly I thought it would have taken much longer so maybe your fitness at the time of the accident is helping recovery

13/06/2013 at 19:38

Wow, many events to read about. Only have a few minutes but wanted to say BeDe, hang in there. That is tough news, but you can at least know you'll have skipped most of the summer heat. I lost my summer last year but it was actually OK once I accepted it...more time to get all those other things tended to.

So yesterday hit the 13 miler and today did a 6 mile recovery. Interesting data so far this week. The Tuesday 11 miler averages were 8:05 m/m @ HR 144 (72%). Wed's 13 was 8:08 m/m @ HR 143 (72%). I was looking back to April and those same efforts gave a pace around 8:45 m/m. I can tell my legs are moving faster, but the effort is very controlled and sustainable. HR has remained very even over these past two runs. At this point, I think I'm really going to have to rely on HR for training (rather than strict pace). I think the P&D would have had me running these medium long runs in the 75 to 78 range. Maybe need to find a P&D forum to see how others are doing this.

13/06/2013 at 19:39

Oh, Brian, I would kill to nail that time w/out a stitch!

14/06/2013 at 08:17

Thanks for the consolations folks. I have doms today!!!!

Vt, see the "P&D Autumn Marathon Thread".

14/06/2013 at 08:33

Anybody running this weekend?   Small matter of Welsh 3000s for me.   Not sure what to expect due to weather

14/06/2013 at 08:42

(((BeDe)))  sorry to hear.

Great progress VT

Andi: looks like you have to rethink your marathon pace pretty soon. Things are looking great! Yeah, the forgetting to start the timer can be an issue when you are displaying HR only

I did 12 miles this morning with 10 @ sub LT- thought I must earn my beer . The sub LT ones worked out at 8:08 average pace. I take that. It's very windy today so some of the splits were slow in order to keep the old HR in check. Fastest was 7:58, slowest 8:19.

14/06/2013 at 08:57

Bede, soz! Missed your post. Thats tough luck... remember the doc will always quote worst case scenario. 

Excellent run chick! Sub lt with resistance! Hate doing the harder runs when it's windy. Enjoy the beers.

14/06/2013 at 12:02

VT, looks like your HADDing has really paid off knocking all that time off since April

Brian, since I started HADDing doms has more or less become a thing of the past for me though am sure when I start doing some 80% runs they'll be back

Good luck for the Welsh 3000's spen and hope you get the weather your after

Chick, well done on the morning run! I was still recovering from my beer whilst you were out earning yours I used to log all my food/excercise on myfitnesspal.com and running calories burnt = beer tokens lol. Rather than change my current goals I think I'll add a third one so... 1, is to get round, 2, sub 5 hours and 3, probably sub 4:45. I've got the Mull HM in August and whilst not training specifically for this it should give me a better idea of Marathon time.

14/06/2013 at 15:02

BeDe ... hang in there. Sending you good vibes.

Spen ... good luck with the 3000s (thought you'd converted overnight to a 3000m track runner until I looked it up!).

Chick - glad you've got off your lazy arse and done some sub-LT training. ... great session by the way.

Great stats VT. I think I'll just use Hadd right up to the mara but, after base phase I'll just remove one sub-LT run and replace it with a mid-week long, plus include some 80-83% mileage at the end of the Sunday LSRs.

Had a good lunchtime outing on the canal ... even passed by some bloke claiming to have DOMS but moving way too fast to have his claim taken seriously. My run was the same as Wednesday's ... 7M at 70% maxHR, 9:21/m. Also cycled to work ... hoping to get back alive (thunderstorm predicted).

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 16:59
14/06/2013 at 17:37

Cheers all for good wishes - beer tonight!!

14/06/2013 at 18:31

Enjoy the beer BeDe, will have a dram (or three) for you later

Dr.Dan, was that Brian that passed you? Doms used to stop me going out but I found that if I did go out it seemed to ease though HADDing has all but stopped them now

I too did 7 miles today though 10:55/m and 72%, no need for me to cycle to work as I work from home lol. Have gone off this route as it's more or less a 700ft incline out and 700ft decline back.

14/06/2013 at 19:14

5 days of 70%- 75% running, legs are starting to feel ( normal ) will  try out a parkrun tomorrow, not to hard though.

Spen, all the best on the 3000m .

Andi, things are improving pace wise, keep it coming.

Brian, DOM ?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.