HADD training plan

3,341 to 3,360 of 3,777 messages
14/06/2013 at 19:49

Txs roy and yes, things seems to be improving

Well done on your HR and it's Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

14/06/2013 at 20:57

Spen, good luck!

Today I converted my 9 mile (w/4 at half marathon pace) to 9 with 7 at sub-LT. It was hot/humid today and my legs were pretty tired, but managed 7:13 m/m @ HR ave 162 (82%). Despite the heat getting my HR up right away, I could have done a couple more. Still not super fresh feeling though...more work to be done on these efforts. But more miles in the tank...I'll take 'em. Also, my feet and legs feel awesome today (been awhile as everything has been beat up lately...maybe I'm getting used to the mileage/effort...). Tomorrow Rest, 15 on Sunday.

Dr. Dan, I think that sounds like a great plan. I'm going to either get a sub-LT in each week during one of the MLRs and/or do it during the long run. I don't want to phase that component out and the P&D mainly does much shorter sub-LTs (like 4-7 miles). Although there are some good long MP sessions during the long runs. I guess I'm treating what they call MP as well as LT as the same thing (80% until final 6 weeks when it will be 83%).

Chick, nice sub-LT in the wind!

Andi, things are happening for you. Will be interesting to see what pace you'll end up using for the marathon.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 21:01
14/06/2013 at 21:16

Txs VT, though not sure my chosen pace will be anything like the actual pace I make myself feel better when reading all your paces by kidding myself your doing 7:13 minute kilometres

15/06/2013 at 19:05
Brian. wrote (see)

Morning all.

Disappointed to go 67.11 at Otley. Had to walk twice with a stitch. But a good blow out anyway. Back to hadding now for 3 more weeks.

Pretty good time Brian on  a very tough course. The winner was only 55 mins, which while fantastic, is not a normally a time to win a ten miler in.

I did a 77 but pleased with that. Hit MHR twice in the race, once on a big hill and once in the last mile when I was pretty tired. I can assume that is not MHR now (162) not sure what to assume MHR actually is now without doing a test.

15/06/2013 at 20:34

Jb, was good to see you albeit fleetingly. Well done at Otley, that is one tough course.

I would add 2 beats on to whatever max you see. No need to do a test. Infact if you felt that otley was run to your potential, take your average in that race as 89% and extrapolate to 100% to derive your max.

15/06/2013 at 20:36

Oh forgot to say... spotted DrDan on the canal on friday. Looking good matey!!

15/06/2013 at 20:57
Brian. wrote (see)

Oh forgot to say... spotted DrDan on the canal on friday. Looking good matey!!

Yup, he mentioned the lack of dom's cos you were flying

Johnny, sounds like that was a tough course for all so well done

16/06/2013 at 08:23

Got roped in to my mates tempo. 10m incl 3m@6.39

16/06/2013 at 19:11

Spen I hope the Welsh 3000s went ok

Chick well done on Friday's subLT

DD good controlled running

Roy a good week's training

VT great subLT again - hope the 15 went ok today

Andi LoL

JohnnyB nice running at Otley

Brian good run today

---

I was supposed to be doing a 16m long run today but felt lousy, so I struggled through 2 hours then caved.  

Week's stats:  60.6m in 9h00, av. pace 8:55, av. HR 72%max 

16/06/2013 at 21:11

Nice running Brian

Teknik, impressive weekly stats! I was impressed with mine until I saw yours I have my first 16 mile LSR next weekend, it might become a long slow walk mind.

32.84 miles in 6:14, av pace 11.24 av HRR 69%

17/06/2013 at 01:44

Tek, nice volume; you too Andi.

Brian, that'll burn the carbon out of the engine!

15 today. First 7 done at 70%; last 8 done from 73 to 79% (got higher as I went). Overall 8:03 m/m HR ave 145 (73%). First part of run I felt sluggish, then loosened up nicely...felt the effort a bit in the last 2 miles or so. I've also been feeling a bit anxious on my longer runs lately...thinking about how far I have left to go...normally I don't ever do that. Might need to switch up the routes a bit.

17/06/2013 at 10:18

Morning all.

Good stats teknik and Andi. VT nice quality in your long run.

3rd week of 6 week base completed. Slightly interrupted by a hilly 10 mile race on Wednesday. 6.18hrs @ 72.9% 47.3 miles at 7:50 pace. 3 rest days! So only 4 runs with long run sat am 14.3miles incl parkrun in 23.10

17/06/2013 at 16:39

Great running everyone!  Andi, it sounds like things are really starting to happen for you so hopefully it's just onwards and upwards from here for you!  You'll definitely have to adjust your marathon goal downwards

Have any of you more experienced Hadd people had any glitches with your training?  My HR is still climbing higher than it has been at slower speeds so I'm back to closer to 11min miles now.  I've allowed my average to go back to 150 to give me some wiggle room. I'm back to the docs this week to check my iron again.  Question is, should I ignore my HR and run at the pace I've been doing well at previously if it is because of low iron or should I drop my pace a lot again and keep to the lower HR?

I was really enjoying what I was doing before and I'm finding this terribly frustrating. Any advice appreciated!!

Edited: 17/06/2013 at 16:40
17/06/2013 at 16:51

Rubbishrunner, I wonder if it's due to the heat? Or not enough sleep? Or just plain too many heavy weeks without a break? Those things have gotten me in the past.

17/06/2013 at 17:24

I usually run early in the morning so heat isn't normally a problem.  Not enough sleep is certainly a possibility!  I had a couple of easier weeks training - had a recovery week  followed by a hillwalk instead of a run the next week so I don't think it's overtraining.

It does seem very quick for iron deficiency, I know.  I can run steadily enough on flat ground but it doesn't stay flat for very long unfortunately!  No cold yet, so I'm guessing that's not it.

I'll give myself another week and see.  I have bloods scheduled anyway for other conditions so I was just going to ask them to check my ferritin while I was there.  Running has helped me get my money's worth from the NHS

17/06/2013 at 17:53

Would you Adam and Eve it ! out of the blue 5 mile PB in a time of 35.09 , 55 secs improvement and I did not feel as I was going that fast, ( for me that is ).

Just need to convert this to 10 miles / half marathon now.

No stats, as I ran " as I felt like "

Heat defo making a statement on my HR..

RR bear with it mate and remember no quick fix this HADD malarkey  

17/06/2013 at 17:55

Txs VT, Brian and RR, am glad I stuck with HADDing now as things seem to be coming along nicely. In fact today was a 6 miler and just had the current HRR% on the Garmin with 1/2 mile timing alerts, if I had my normal dashboard of info I'd have sprinted an extra .2 miles down the hill into Tobermory as I was just 11 secs/mile off my 10k PB time and at 69% of HRR.

That said have moved away from worrying about times for a while and concentrating on HRR though did let it drift up to 79% on a hill. My other 'goal' is to get my weekly incline to equal the height of our Munro (1 of only 2 on the Western Isles). Ben More is 3169ft high so todays 468 feet is about on target

RR, fingers crossed you get things sorted soon, is the sleeping issue something you can sort? 11 min miles is good for me so would be happy with that but can understand your frustration if things have got worse for you. Yup, give it a week and see how the bloods are when they come back

17/06/2013 at 22:24

Roy, that's Haddtastic! Well done. Upward and onward with the lactate threshold!

17/06/2013 at 23:21

Roy, crossed posted early and WOW, 55 seconds off that pace is fantastic so big Congrats to you

17/06/2013 at 23:26

Brian, solid base stats for the week. Just out of curiosity, how much base training do you need to get the aerobic engine firing on all cylinders after a marathon or other big race (following recovery)? For me, it seems I equate to HADD's example of someone that might need to base train for a loooong time to get where I need to be. But assuming I can get there, just wondering if 6-10 wks is enough time to get back to that top aerobic status prior to race specific training...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.